Re: UART at 31250 bps (MIDI rate) also 250kbps for DMX, 115.2k etc, Overclocking

  • rich_aplin
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 17, 2007
      Hey Zippians,
      Someone asked a while ago about 31.25kbps UART for Midi. I also needed
      115.2kbps and 250kbps for DMX lighting control, and I've got it worked
      out now.

      Brief howto:

      The main zipit clock is by default 90Mhz. There is a 3.6864Mhz crystal
      on the board and the cpu has a PLL frequency multiplier which can dial
      up a variety of multiples of that. The default setting of the register
      'PLLW' (32 bit, mapped in at 0xFF002610, write byte value to bits
      24-31) is 0x31 or 49, which works out as:
      49 * 1.8432Mhz = 90.3168Mz.

      You can pretty much dial-a-clock speed on your zipit, (although I
      believe the audio will stop working), and mine here will overclock to
      100Mhz and more. I think the guys with the liquid nitrogen rigs will
      probably overlook the crazy world of zipit overclocking though...

      Ok, the serial ports use basically the PLL clock as follows:
      UART rate = (PLL clock / 320) / (UART divider+1)
      So, for a standard 90Mhz clock, you get a basic UART rate of 90.3168 /
      320 = 282.240KBps, which when divided by 5 (you write divider-1 to the
      register so 4) gives 56448bps which is the standard setting for 56k
      serial.

      Ok, so the factory 90Mhz clock setting won't give us 115.2kbps, (only
      either 94k or 141kbps), nor can we get Midi etc. Boo.

      However... tweak the system clock speed (this will break the audio
      driver I believe - unverified) and you can can dial-a-UART-speed...

      Setting PWM multiplier to 40 = 73.72Mhz, which gives you a nice clean
      115187bps with a divider of 2.

      Set PWM to 43 = 79.2576Mhz , gives you UARTClock (set divider = 0 )of
      247kbps which I think will work for DMX lighting - I tried it with a
      Zipit->FDDI serial->USB interface at 250Kbps port setting and it
      worked beautifully. A divider of 8 in this case will give you
      30960bps, which might just pass for Midi...

      As for setting these; I did it the ugly way and ran this in user mode
      to just hit the registers...

      ----

      int volatile* UBLDR2 = (int*)(0xff0014c0);
      *UBLDR2=0x00070000|uartspeed; // low byte sets baud rate as : (PLL
      Clock / 320) / (uartspeed+1). Note that 0 is valid (at 80Mhz PLL,
      value of 0 gives 250kbps, works great)
      int volatile* PLLW = (int*)(0xff002610);
      *PLLW=speed<<24; // * 1.8432Mhz, so 49 = 90mhz

      -----

      For more info see pages 17-2 (UART) and 2-11 (PLL) in the
      ep73xx_um-f.pdf datasheet.

      For those new to serial stuff, I super recommend the (windows) serial
      terminal freeware 'RealTerm' - it's great and also allows you to dial
      up unusual baudrates on your serial port.

      Note also that hax0ring your zipit registers in user mode like this
      will leave system stuff confused; e.g. the clock will start to run
      awry.. ;-)

      Cheers,
      DrT