Re: OpenZipitDistro v2.1

  • jomagamm
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 31, 2007
      Wow, just downloaded the correct archive (2.2). Decompressed it and
      renamed wholeThing.rom to allrom.bin. Started upl.exe (under Windows),
      and uploaded allrom.bin. Writing flash was successful, now my Zipit is
      up and running :) I am a happy man :))))))
      I will check the FireWireLoader with decreased port speed under Linux
      later.
      Thanks, great work!

      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, Tom Walsh <tom@...> wrote:

      > jomagamm wrote:
      > >
      > > Three files are missing from the archive:
      > > README.mmc
      > > wholeThing.rom
      > > md5sums
      > >

      > Hmm, I'll have to check to see where I put those. I probably got
      > confused with using three computers on to build and check stuff out.
      >
      > TomW
      >
      > --
      > Tom Walsh - WN3L - Embedded Systems Consultant
      > http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org
      > "Windows? No thanks, I have work to do..."

    • jomagamm
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1 4:31 AM
        So I checked FiveWireLoader. I still can not flash under Linux. It
        hangs when transfering utils.bin, Failed to get response (ready).
        Maybe I am using wrong Linux distribution :) But who cares, there is
        a wholeThing.rom in the archive, and I can flash under Windows :)

        -- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "jomagamm" <jomagamm@...> wrote:

        > Wow, just downloaded the correct archive (2.2). Decompressed it and
        > renamed wholeThing.rom to allrom.bin. Started upl.exe (under Windows),
        > and uploaded allrom.bin. Writing flash was successful, now my Zipit is
        > up and running :) I am a happy man :))))))
        > I will check the FireWireLoader with decreased port speed under Linux
        > later.
        > Thanks, great work!
        >
        > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, Tom Walsh <tom@> wrote:
        > >
        > > jomagamm wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Three files are missing from the archive:
        > > > README.mmc
        > > > wholeThing.rom
        > > > md5sums
        > > >

        > > Hmm, I'll have to check to see where I put those. I probably got
        > > confused with using three computers on to build and check stuff out.
        > >
        > > TomW
        > >
        > > --
        > > Tom Walsh - WN3L - Embedded Systems Consultant
        > > http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com
        http://openzipit.org
        > > "Windows? No thanks, I have work to do..."

      • Tom Walsh
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1 6:02 AM
          jomagamm wrote:

          > So I checked FiveWireLoader. I still can not flash under Linux. It
          > hangs when transfering utils.bin, Failed to get response (ready).
          > Maybe I am using wrong Linux distribution :) But who cares, there is
          > a wholeThing.rom in the archive, and I can flash under Windows :)

          Unless you are using some kind of "Linux Live" type of CDROM system,
          where you are running it as a test installation inside Windows, or
          vmware, it should not matter. The FiveWireLoader is nothing fancy and
          only uses a couple of standard libraries. You would not be able to run
          it if (or Linux) if they were not on your system, heh.

          Other than to change the bootsplash, you shouldn't ever have to re-Flash
          the unit again. That was one benefit of having the file system on the
          MMC card, the buildroot systems all require you to re-Flash. Either you
          would do it via WiFi (dangerous), or via mtdblock (dangerous), or the 5
          wire mod (PITA).

          Actually the easy part of the operation is Flashing the device, the
          tricky part would be building the root filesystem on the MMC card. But,
          as things go, that is probably the part that you found easy, right? ;-)

          TomW

          http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org