Looking tools to build a SIP gateway

  • Barbudor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
      Hello,

      The last idea I have about my ZipIt would be to
      host a SIP-to-SIP gateway (SIP is a protocol used
      for telephony over IP).

      The idea would be to be able to use 2 SIP account
      and bridge calls between them.

      Any idea of what kind of software I should look for ?
      I don't think that Asterix would do this as-is. May be some
      additionnal programming would be necesary.

      Any pointer would be appreciated.

      Regards,

      ~barbudor~
    • Mags Slars
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2007
        hello jean-michel --

        could you please explain a little more about your intention? much of
        my professional work deals with asterisk and voip, and making simple
        applications for bridging channels is generally no problem.

        I have read about zipit for last ~2 years and finally ordered one
        today as the price is crazy cheap!

        one of my goals is connecting the zipit as a sip or iax2 client of
        asterisk. mainly this will depend on if the wolfson dac supports
        microphone input line, and also if the slow speed of this arm cpu is
        sufficient (although artificially restricting transcoding by limiting
        to non-compressed codec such as ulaw or alaw could solve this)

        but even aside from voip, it will be 100% worth it to me as wireless
        ssh terminal.

        can't wait to get my zipit!

        cheers
        -mags

        --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Barbudor" <barbudor@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > The last idea I have about my ZipIt would be to
        > host a SIP-to-SIP gateway (SIP is a protocol used
        > for telephony over IP).
        >
        > The idea would be to be able to use 2 SIP account
        > and bridge calls between them.
        >
        > Any idea of what kind of software I should look for ?
        > I don't think that Asterix would do this as-is. May be some
        > additionnal programming would be necesary.
        >
        > Any pointer would be appreciated.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > ~barbudor~

      • Tim Saylor
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007
          Is there some trick to using ssh on the zipit that I'm not aware of?  When I use it it's quite slow, which I attribute to the slow cpu getting bogged down on encryption.

          wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > The last idea I have about my ZipIt would be to
          > host a SIP-to-SIP gateway (SIP is a protocol used
          > for telephony over IP).
          >
          > The idea would be to be able to use 2 SIP account
          > and bridge calls between them.
          >
          > Any idea of what kind of software I should look for ?
          > I don't think that Asterix would do this as-is. May be some
          > additionnal programming would be necesary.
          >
          > Any pointer would be appreciated.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > ~barbudor~

        • Barbudor
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2007
            Hi Mags,

            What I would like to achioeve is the ability to
            interconnect multiple SIP account to get best
            of each cases.
            For example, my ISP provide me telephone services
            with SIP with free landline calls to France, europe and USA
            This also provide me a DID in France.
            I also have a VoipUser.org account that give a DID in UK
            and a SipNumber account with a DID in USA.

            What I would like to do is when I am travelling be able
            to use these accounts to get the best such as :
            - being able to call a local number connected to one of
            these account to reach my ZipIt which ask me which
            number to call with which account
            - or use a web browser in an InternetCafe to use a
            web page on the ZipIt to select the number to call but
            also the number to call me back
            => extend to same with email, IM or SMS

            This is the type of job I'd like to do.
            So I don't need analog interface as it is pure
            SIP to SIP connections

            With regards to your question on the Wolson. As far as I know
            it does not have an analog in (or you cannot use I don't remember).
            We already discussed this in the mailing list a few months ago.
            Si the discussion "Serial Microphone" started by Brendan M. Sleight
            on october 13th

            Thanks for any suggestion on using Asterisk or pointer to
            good beginner's site

            Regards

            ~barbudor~

            wrote:

            > Hello,
            >
            > The last idea I have about my ZipIt would be to
            > host a SIP-to-SIP gateway (SIP is a protocol used
            > for telephony over IP).
            >
            > The idea would be to be able to use 2 SIP account
            > and bridge calls between them.
            >
            > Any idea of what kind of software I should look for ?
            > I don't think that Asterix would do this as-is. May be some
            > additionnal programming would be necesary.
            >
            > Any pointer would be appreciated.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > ~barbudor~

          • etammekds
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 9, 2007
              --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Barbudor" <barbudor@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > The last idea I have about my ZipIt would be to
              > host a SIP-to-SIP gateway (SIP is a protocol used
              > for telephony over IP).
              >
              > The idea would be to be able to use 2 SIP account
              > and bridge calls between them.
              >
              > Any idea of what kind of software I should look for ?
              > I don't think that Asterix would do this as-is. May be some
              > additionnal programming would be necesary.
              >
              > Any pointer would be appreciated.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > ~barbudor~

              Barbudor,

              I too am a big * user too. I would suggest you take a look at Open
              sip stack.

              http://www.opensipstack.org/

              I am a big asterisk user and actually work in carrier telecom.
              Asterisk does bridge calls. I am a little unclear on what you are
              trying to do.. but I think essentially you need to develop a sip
              client for zipit and opensipstack will let you do that.

              The asterisk Dial() function creates a bridge.. if you specify a
              channel (or multiple channels) it will attempt to bridge them with the
              active channel. Hence Dial(SIP/zipitEXT&SIP/2005) will bridge your
              zipitext extension with extension 2005.

              Im very active in working with asterisk and just getting into zipit
              hacking.. Im happy to get involved with working with you on putting
              some thing together for zipit voip.

              -Eric