Re: [zipitwireless] Re: Post 2.01 Software Reflashing

  • Florian Echtler
    Message 1 of 22 , Feb 18, 2007
      > Thanks a lot. I feel pretty dumb now as I've visited your site a few
      > times looking for pictures on the page that they were on... Honestly,
      > the picture of the caller id box and the zipit with the phone line
      > next to it threw me off. I guess that's really all I need then. Now
      > it's just a waiting game for the chip to come in the mail and my
      > balls to grow big enough to attempt the 5-wire mod.
      A different question in that context: I'm currently stuck with a sort of
      4-and-a-half-wire mod. I got the 4 easy wires installed without
      problems, and I managed to get the coating off the TxD via with a tiny
      0.5 mm circuit board drill, but all my attempts to contact the copper
      area with a needle have failed so far.

      Note that I haven't done any soldering yet, I would like to have a
      solution which doesn't have the possibility of ruining the board..
      (I felt comfortable enough with the other solder points, but I'm sort of
      jittery with this via..)

      Any additional tips?

      Thanks, Florian
    • floemuc
      Message 2 of 22 , Feb 18, 2007
        > Thanks a lot. I feel pretty dumb now as I've visited your site a few
        > times looking for pictures on the page that they were on... Honestly,
        > the picture of the caller id box and the zipit with the phone line
        > next to it threw me off. I guess that's really all I need then. Now
        > it's just a waiting game for the chip to come in the mail and my
        > balls to grow big enough to attempt the 5-wire mod.
        A different question in that context: I'm currently stuck with a sort of
        4-and-a-half-wire mod. I got the 4 easy wires installed without
        problems, and I managed to get the coating off the TxD via with a tiny
        0.5 mm circuit board drill, but all my attempts to contact the copper
        area with a needle have failed so far.

        Note that I haven't done any soldering yet, I would like to have a
        solution which doesn't have the possibility of ruining the board..
        (I felt comfortable enough with the other solder points, but I'm sort of
        jittery with this via..)

        Any additional tips?

        Thanks, Florian
      • Michael Grigoni
        Message 3 of 22 , Feb 20, 2007
          Florian Echtler wrote:
          >>Thanks a lot. I feel pretty dumb now as I've visited your site a few
          >>times looking for pictures on the page that they were on... Honestly,
          >>the picture of the caller id box and the zipit with the phone line
          >>next to it threw me off. I guess that's really all I need then. Now
          >>it's just a waiting game for the chip to come in the mail and my
          >>balls to grow big enough to attempt the 5-wire mod.
          >
          > A different question in that context: I'm currently stuck with a sort of
          > 4-and-a-half-wire mod. I got the 4 easy wires installed without
          > problems, and I managed to get the coating off the TxD via with a tiny
          > 0.5 mm circuit board drill, but all my attempts to contact the copper
          > area with a needle have failed so far.

          Trying to get good contact with a chrome-plated needle without tinning
          and soldering is extremely unlikely to succeed. Use a gold-plated
          spring-loaded test nail for that.

          > Note that I haven't done any soldering yet, I would like to have a
          > solution which doesn't have the possibility of ruining the board..
          > (I felt comfortable enough with the other solder points, but I'm sort of
          > jittery with this via..)

          In my experience, flowing the solder at the tip of the needle is not
          a problem if done with a little flux; since the needle is 'captive' in
          the hole during the time, this is actually easier than soldering to the
          other pads. The connection is just sold enough to permit adding the
          final dollop of epoxy, waiting eight hours, shearing off the top section
          of the needle and you're good to go. It is a robust connection and
          as you can see from the photo, does not damage the board or occupy a lot
          of real estate.

          Regards,

          Michael