Re: [zipitwireless] Installing a backlight - getting the glue off

  • Travers Buda
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 2007
      On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:00:05 -0800
      Mark Pulver <mark@...> wrote:

      > ref: http://www.elinux.org/wiki/ZipitBackLight
      >

      > So, I'm installing a backlight into my Zipit. The process is very
      > straight-forward (see the link above) but I have a question...
      >
      > Anyone have a good way of getting the glue off the panel? I've got the
      > reflector off, and all is well there, but after rubbing on this thing for a
      > LONG time, I've only been able to clear away a small chunk from a corner of
      > the panel.
      >
      > I'm getting plenty of glue balls, but there always seems to be more!
      >
      > I've tried GooGone, but it doesn't want to break down the magic substance
      > used on the panel.

      GooGone is petrol-based... It should work. But since it's not, I'd try
      these solvents in this order:

      Water.
      Alcohols--ethanol, methanol, isopropanol, etc, whatever you have lying
      around.
      Hydrocarbons--hexane, heptane, etc. These will be similar to the goo gone but worth a shot.

      Everything else I can think of would probably melt the plastic underneath the glue too...

      Travers Buda
    • Mark Pulver
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 21, 2007
        Cool; Thanks Travers.

        I got it all off by grabbing a beer, sitting in front of the TV and just
        working on it with my thumb.

        It looks pretty good - I'll clean up the rest of it today.

        ------
        Travers Buda (06:56 PM 1/20/2007) wrote:
        >On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:00:05 -0800
        >Mark Pulver <mark@...> wrote:
        >

        >> ref: http://www.elinux.org/wiki/ZipitBackLight
        >>

        >> So, I'm installing a backlight into my Zipit. The process is very
        >> straight-forward (see the link above) but I have a question...
        >>
        >> Anyone have a good way of getting the glue off the panel? I've got the
        >> reflector off, and all is well there, but after rubbing on this thing
        for a
        >> LONG time, I've only been able to clear away a small chunk from a
        corner of
        >> the panel.
        >>
        >> I'm getting plenty of glue balls, but there always seems to be more!
        >>
        >> I've tried GooGone, but it doesn't want to break down the magic substance
        >> used on the panel.
        >>

        >GooGone is petrol-based... It should work. But since it's not, I'd try
        >these solvents in this order:
        >
        >Water.
        >Alcohols--ethanol, methanol, isopropanol, etc, whatever you have lying
        >around.
        >Hydrocarbons--hexane, heptane, etc. These will be similar to the goo gone
        >but worth a shot.
        >
        >Everything else I can think of would probably melt the plastic underneath
        >the glue too...
        >
        >Travers Buda
      • Andrew Hakman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2007
          You might want to try xylol, but test it on a safe area first - xylol literally disolves some kinds of plastic, others it won't touch at all.

          Andrew