Installing a backlight - getting the glue off

  • Mark Pulver
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 20, 2007
      ref: http://www.elinux.org/wiki/ZipitBackLight

      So, I'm installing a backlight into my Zipit. The process is very
      straight-forward (see the link above) but I have a question...

      Anyone have a good way of getting the glue off the panel? I've got the
      reflector off, and all is well there, but after rubbing on this thing for a
      LONG time, I've only been able to clear away a small chunk from a corner of
      the panel.

      I'm getting plenty of glue balls, but there always seems to be more!

      I've tried GooGone, but it doesn't want to break down the magic substance
      used on the panel.

      Also, I thought I'd pass along what I thought was a great deal on a EL panel:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230070121722

      He doesn't seem to have any more listed on eBay, but it'd be worth an email
      to find out if he can get them. All totaled, I paid US $10 for a 4"x3"
      piece, showed up from Hong Kong in about a week. It works great!

      Back to scraping glue!

      Mark
    • Travers Buda
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 20, 2007
        On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:00:05 -0800
        Mark Pulver <mark@...> wrote:

        > ref: http://www.elinux.org/wiki/ZipitBackLight
        >

        > So, I'm installing a backlight into my Zipit. The process is very
        > straight-forward (see the link above) but I have a question...
        >
        > Anyone have a good way of getting the glue off the panel? I've got the
        > reflector off, and all is well there, but after rubbing on this thing for a
        > LONG time, I've only been able to clear away a small chunk from a corner of
        > the panel.
        >
        > I'm getting plenty of glue balls, but there always seems to be more!
        >
        > I've tried GooGone, but it doesn't want to break down the magic substance
        > used on the panel.

        GooGone is petrol-based... It should work. But since it's not, I'd try
        these solvents in this order:

        Water.
        Alcohols--ethanol, methanol, isopropanol, etc, whatever you have lying
        around.
        Hydrocarbons--hexane, heptane, etc. These will be similar to the goo gone but worth a shot.

        Everything else I can think of would probably melt the plastic underneath the glue too...

        Travers Buda
      • Mark Pulver
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 21, 2007
          Cool; Thanks Travers.

          I got it all off by grabbing a beer, sitting in front of the TV and just
          working on it with my thumb.

          It looks pretty good - I'll clean up the rest of it today.

          ------
          Travers Buda (06:56 PM 1/20/2007) wrote:
          >On Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:00:05 -0800
          >Mark Pulver <mark@...> wrote:
          >

          >> ref: http://www.elinux.org/wiki/ZipitBackLight
          >>

          >> So, I'm installing a backlight into my Zipit. The process is very
          >> straight-forward (see the link above) but I have a question...
          >>
          >> Anyone have a good way of getting the glue off the panel? I've got the
          >> reflector off, and all is well there, but after rubbing on this thing
          for a
          >> LONG time, I've only been able to clear away a small chunk from a
          corner of
          >> the panel.
          >>
          >> I'm getting plenty of glue balls, but there always seems to be more!
          >>
          >> I've tried GooGone, but it doesn't want to break down the magic substance
          >> used on the panel.
          >>

          >GooGone is petrol-based... It should work. But since it's not, I'd try
          >these solvents in this order:
          >
          >Water.
          >Alcohols--ethanol, methanol, isopropanol, etc, whatever you have lying
          >around.
          >Hydrocarbons--hexane, heptane, etc. These will be similar to the goo gone
          >but worth a shot.
          >
          >Everything else I can think of would probably melt the plastic underneath
          >the glue too...
          >
          >Travers Buda
        • Andrew Hakman
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 21, 2007
            You might want to try xylol, but test it on a safe area first - xylol literally disolves some kinds of plastic, others it won't touch at all.

            Andrew