Re: [zipitwireless] Getting Wavemon on my Zipit's Hard disk

  • Tom Walsh
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
      Jay A. Kreibich wrote:

      > On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 11:15:12PM -0400, Tom Walsh scratched on the wall:
      > > Jay A. Kreibich wrote:
      >
      > > > You have to add it to the packed ramdisk image and reflash the
      > > > device. You'll need a Linux box to do that.
      > >
      > > Or perhaps cygwin on a windows box?
      >
      > Extremely doubtful. You actually mount the ramdisk and then modify
      > the mounted file tree. There might be some way to build a ramdisk file
      > from a tar or zip file or something similar, but I'm not aware of any
      > such tools (I don't do a lot of this kind of work, however, so that's
      > not really saying anything).

      Heh, I do a lot of this type of work, but never on a windows box.

      TomW

      http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org
    • jedfrechette
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2006
        --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Jay A. Kreibich" <jak@...>
        wrote:
        > > Or perhaps cygwin on a windows box?
        >
        > Extremely doubtful. You actually mount the ramdisk and then
        modify
        > the mounted file tree. There might be some way to build a
        ramdisk file
        > from a tar or zip file or something similar, but I'm not aware of
        any
        > such tools (I don't do a lot of this kind of work, however, so
        that's
        > not really saying anything).

        I'm not familiar with cygwin either. Would mounting the ramdisk be
        the tricky part? Otherwise cygwin includes a cramfs package which
        includes 'mkcramfs' which is pretty much all you need other than your
        basic unix tools.

        Cheers,
      • Barbudor
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2006
          Not sure for Adam's software, but on OpenZipIt (at least with version
          from beginning of the summer), the file system image is not cramfs but
          just a plain ext3fs.

          What I did on my side :

          gzip -d ramdisk.gz
          mkdir myrootfs
          mount -t ext3fs -o loop ramdisk myrootfs

          ... make all changes to myrootfs/

          umount myrootfs
          gzip ramdisk

          et voilĂ  ... you should have a new and update ramdisk.
          But beware that the size must remains

          You need a linux box for this.
          The mount command under cygmin doesn't do the job. It is limited
          to mount win32 path to cygwin path. It cannot mount a file
          into a dir.
          My choice is to run a debian under VMWare.

          br

          jean-michel.