Re: [zipitwireless] Getting Wavemon on my Zipit's Hard disk

  • Jay A. Kreibich
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 30, 2006
      On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 08:57:04PM -0000, maxmueller544 scratched on the wall:
      > Hi,
      > I bought a Zipit some time ago and yesterday I finally figured out
      > enough linux commands and stuff to reflash it with AdamsSoftware
      > (http://www.elinux.org/wiki/ZipItAdamSoftware). When I tried copying
      > wavemon over to my zipit, also via mount I noticed that the programm
      > only gets saved in the Zipit's ram and not on it's hard disk. Since I
      > don't want to mount my zipit the whole time only for wavemon I'd like
      > to know how I can stuff it onto my Zipit's harddrive (please also list
      > possible commands I might need for this, sorry I'm a real newbie to
      > linux in general).

      You have to add it to the packed ramdisk image and reflash the
      device. You'll need a Linux box to do that.

      See "Modifying The OpenZipIt Ramdisk Image" here:
      http://www.elinux.org/wiki/OpenZipIt

      -j

      --
      Jay A. Kreibich | CommTech, Emrg Net Tech Svcs
      jak@... | Campus IT & Edu Svcs
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 30, 2006
        Jay A. Kreibich wrote:

        > On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 08:57:04PM -0000, maxmueller544 scratched on
        > the wall:
        > > Hi,
        > > I bought a Zipit some time ago and yesterday I finally figured out
        > > enough linux commands and stuff to reflash it with AdamsSoftware
        > > (http://www.elinux org/wiki/ ZipItAdamSoftwar e
        > <http://www.elinux.org/wiki/ZipItAdamSoftware>). When I tried copying
        > > wavemon over to my zipit, also via mount I noticed that the programm
        > > only gets saved in the Zipit's ram and not on it's hard disk. Since I
        > > don't want to mount my zipit the whole time only for wavemon I'd like
        > > to know how I can stuff it onto my Zipit's harddrive (please also list
        > > possible commands I might need for this, sorry I'm a real newbie to
        > > linux in general).
        >
        > You have to add it to the packed ramdisk image and reflash the
        > device. You'll need a Linux box to do that.

        Or perhaps cygwin on a windows box?

        TomW

        http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org
      • maxmueller544
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
          Ok, thank you for the info.
          Would it be possible to change Adam's software so it includes Wavemon
          when I reflash my zipit with it? If yes, how?

          --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Merz/Ceralor Entàræ"
          <ceralor@...> wrote:

          > The zipit doesn't have a hard-drive. When you flashed it, you were
          flashing
          > a ROM - Read-Only Memory. Thusly, to get local storage on the device you
          > need to perform the SD/MMC mod, or else mount an NFS drive and use that.
          >
          > On 8/30/06, maxmueller544 <maxmueller544@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > I bought a Zipit some time ago and yesterday I finally figured out
          > > enough linux commands and stuff to reflash it with AdamsSoftware
          > > (http://www.elinux.org/wiki/ZipItAdamSoftware). When I tried copying
          > > wavemon over to my zipit, also via mount I noticed that the programm
          > > only gets saved in the Zipit's ram and not on it's hard disk. Since I
          > > don't want to mount my zipit the whole time only for wavemon I'd like
          > > to know how I can stuff it onto my Zipit's harddrive (please also list
          > > possible commands I might need for this, sorry I'm a real newbie to
          > > linux in general).
          > >
          > > Many thanks
          > > max
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > --
          > Eric Merz
          > Ceralor Entàræ

        • Jay A. Kreibich
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
            On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 11:15:12PM -0400, Tom Walsh scratched on the wall:
            > Jay A. Kreibich wrote:

            > > You have to add it to the packed ramdisk image and reflash the
            > > device. You'll need a Linux box to do that.
            >
            > Or perhaps cygwin on a windows box?

            Extremely doubtful. You actually mount the ramdisk and then modify
            the mounted file tree. There might be some way to build a ramdisk file
            from a tar or zip file or something similar, but I'm not aware of any
            such tools (I don't do a lot of this kind of work, however, so that's
            not really saying anything).

            -j

            --
            Jay A. Kreibich | CommTech, Emrg Net Tech Svcs
            jak@... | Campus IT & Edu Svcs
            <http://www.uiuc.edu/~jak> | University of Illinois at U/C
          • jedfrechette
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
              --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com,
              "maxmueller544" <maxmueller544@...> wrote:

              > Ok, thank you for the info.
              > Would it be possible to change Adam's software so it includes
              Wavemon
              > when I reflash my zipit with it? If yes, how?

              Yep, and its actually fairly straight forward, if you were already
              able to get Adam's rom installed and wavemon built. The process is
              described in the Adam's HOWTO (http://www.elinux.org/wiki/
              ZipItAdamHOWTO) just go down to the last section "Customization."

              I remember when I did this there was an issue with finding
              libncurses. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/zipitwireless/message/
              813 for a simple solution to the problem.

              Its been a while since I've had time to play with my Zipit so I can't
              remember all of the details off of the top of my head but if you have
              any more questions I'll be glad to try and answer them.

              Cheers,

              Jed
            • Tom Walsh
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 31, 2006
                Jay A. Kreibich wrote:

                > On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 11:15:12PM -0400, Tom Walsh scratched on the wall:
                > > Jay A. Kreibich wrote:
                >
                > > > You have to add it to the packed ramdisk image and reflash the
                > > > device. You'll need a Linux box to do that.
                > >
                > > Or perhaps cygwin on a windows box?
                >
                > Extremely doubtful. You actually mount the ramdisk and then modify
                > the mounted file tree. There might be some way to build a ramdisk file
                > from a tar or zip file or something similar, but I'm not aware of any
                > such tools (I don't do a lot of this kind of work, however, so that's
                > not really saying anything).

                Heh, I do a lot of this type of work, but never on a windows box.

                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 1 3:22 PM
                  --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Jay A. Kreibich" <jak@...>
                  wrote:
                  > > Or perhaps cygwin on a windows box?
                  >
                  > Extremely doubtful. You actually mount the ramdisk and then
                  modify
                  > the mounted file tree. There might be some way to build a
                  ramdisk file
                  > from a tar or zip file or something similar, but I'm not aware of
                  any
                  > such tools (I don't do a lot of this kind of work, however, so
                  that's
                  > not really saying anything).

                  I'm not familiar with cygwin either. Would mounting the ramdisk be
                  the tricky part? Otherwise cygwin includes a cramfs package which
                  includes 'mkcramfs' which is pretty much all you need other than your
                  basic unix tools.

                  Cheers,
                • Barbudor
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2 1:08 PM
                    Not sure for Adam's software, but on OpenZipIt (at least with version
                    from beginning of the summer), the file system image is not cramfs but
                    just a plain ext3fs.

                    What I did on my side :

                    gzip -d ramdisk.gz
                    mkdir myrootfs
                    mount -t ext3fs -o loop ramdisk myrootfs

                    ... make all changes to myrootfs/

                    umount myrootfs
                    gzip ramdisk

                    et voilà ... you should have a new and update ramdisk.
                    But beware that the size must remains

                    You need a linux box for this.
                    The mount command under cygmin doesn't do the job. It is limited
                    to mount win32 path to cygwin path. It cannot mount a file
                    into a dir.
                    My choice is to run a debian under VMWare.

                    br

                    jean-michel.