Hmmmm...Ohhhh!....Ewww!...Help!

  • Steven Jacobs
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 21, 2006
      Hi Folks,

      I did the 5 wire mod with a twist.  I ordered a TTL to serial converter from Acroname.com (http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/S13-SERIAL-INT-CONN.html).  It was cheap enough and made for a clean result.  I liked Tom Walsh's idea of using a 5 pin mini USB connector, so I installed that along with a micro switch for debug mode into the ZipIt case.  Hardware mod went smooth and clean.  RxD1 and RxD2 are tied together at the mini connector.  Brought RxD, TxD and Gnd to serial converter and powered it with a 2032 3v cell.

      For the software side of things I downloaded ZipItPet's Burn3 and zipit_tool_extras.  Grabbed the burn3.bin file, copied it to the Serial_5 tools folder and renamed it to allrom.bin.  Prepped the Zipit (debug grounded, powered on) and ran the up.bat file. Alright.  I see the ZipIts orange LED blink on and off every couple of seconds.  Must be seeing the zpm.bin transfer.  Try to upload allrom.bin and get the error "Zipit is not responding - not ready to upload."

      Hmmmm....

      I tried repeatadly with the same result.  Switched to a different PC.  No different.  So I fiddled with comm settings.  Still no difference.  I accidently did a loader.bin upload, which failed because I had no loader.bin file.  Ran up.bat again and was pleasantly surprised to get the ZPM .02 -57.6Kbps prompt.

      Ohhh!

      Looks good now.  At the OK > prompt I proceeded with the allrom.bin upload. Waited a few minutes until "done upload".  Lookin good.  Typed YWes at OK > and waited.  Got E+W PWD?ERASING,ERASED,WRITTEN!   Alright, that should do it.  Unplugged the Zipit, disabled debug and restarted.

      Ewww!

      Green LED on, blank screen.  Where's Tux?!  Looks like a bad upload.  So, I'll try a reflash.  Or maybe not.  Now when I run up.bat there is no response from the Zipit (orange LED doesn't blink anymore) and I just get a Zipit not responding message.

      Help!

      Did I just kill my Zipit??? By having a failed flash of allrom.bin, have I killed my chance of doing another upload?   If its not dead, I might try to ditch the Acroname serial convertor and get a Max233 chip.  Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

    • mrsnipe360
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
        I decided to abandon the Acroname serial level convertor and ordered
        a MAX233 chip. Got it couple days ago and that solved my problem.
        Even though the Acroname component was close to working, something
        just wasn't quite right. Too bad, cause it would have been a nice
        solution.

        As for why my firmware upload seemed to succeed, but failed to boot,
        I found that the BURN3.bin file is encrypted to work for the WiFi
        hack, which will not work with the serial hack. Needed to use
        Zipit_parts_burn3.zip, which has loader, ramdisk and zimage files
        that must be uploaded separately.

        Steve

        --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Jacobs"
        <stevejacobs@...> wrote:

        > Hi Folks,
        >
        > I did the 5 wire mod with a twist. I ordered a TTL to serial
        converter from Acroname.com
        (http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/S13-SERIAL-INT-CONN.html).
        It was cheap enough and made for a clean result. I liked Tom Walsh's
        idea of using a 5 pin mini USB connector, so I installed that along
        with a micro switch for debug mode into the ZipIt case. Hardware mod
        went smooth and clean. RxD1 and RxD2 are tied together at the mini
        connector. Brought RxD, TxD and Gnd to serial converter and powered
        it with a 2032 3v cell.

        > For the software side of things I downloaded ZipItPet's Burn3 and
        zipit_tool_extras. Grabbed the burn3.bin file, copied it to the
        Serial_5 tools folder and renamed it to allrom.bin. Prepped the
        Zipit (debug grounded, powered on) and ran the up.bat file. Alright.
        I see the ZipIts orange LED blink on and off every couple of
        seconds. Must be seeing the zpm.bin transfer. Try to upload
        allrom.bin and get the error "Zipit is not responding - not ready to
        upload."

        > Hmmmm....
        >
        > I tried repeatadly with the same result. Switched to a different
        PC. No different. So I fiddled with comm settings. Still no
        difference. I accidently did a loader.bin upload, which failed
        because I had no loader.bin file. Ran up.bat again and was
        pleasantly surprised to get the ZPM .02 -57.6Kbps prompt.

        > Ohhh!
        >
        > Looks good now. At the OK > prompt I proceeded with the allrom.bin
        upload. Waited a few minutes until "done upload". Lookin good.
        Typed YWes at OK > and waited. Got E+W PWD?ERASING,ERASED,WRITTEN!
        Alright, that should do it. Unplugged the Zipit, disabled debug and
        restarted.

        > Ewww!
        >
        > Green LED on, blank screen. Where's Tux?! Looks like a bad
        upload. So, I'll try a reflash. Or maybe not. Now when I run
        up.bat there is no response from the Zipit (orange LED doesn't blink
        anymore) and I just get a Zipit not responding message.

        > Help!
        >
        > Did I just kill my Zipit??? By having a failed flash of allrom.bin,
        have I killed my chance of doing another upload? If its not dead, I
        might try to ditch the Acroname serial convertor and get a Max233
        chip. Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

      • Tom Walsh
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 30, 2006
          Steven Jacobs wrote:

          > Hi Folks,
          >
          > I did the 5 wire mod with a twist. I ordered a TTL to serial
          > converter from Acroname.com (http://www.acroname .com/robotics/
          > parts/S13- SERIAL-INT- CONN.html
          > <http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/S13-SERIAL-INT-CONN.html>).
          > It was cheap enough and made for a clean result. I liked Tom Walsh's
          > idea of using a 5 pin mini USB connector, so I installed that along
          > with a micro switch for debug mode into the ZipIt case. Hardware mod
          > went smooth and clean. RxD1 and RxD2 are tied together at the
          > mini connector. Brought RxD, TxD and Gnd to serial converter and
          > powered it with a 2032 3v cell.
          >
          > For the software side of things I downloaded ZipItPet's Burn3 and
          > zipit_tool_extras. Grabbed the burn3.bin file, copied it to the
          > Serial_5 tools folder and renamed it to allrom.bin. Prepped the Zipit
          > (debug grounded, powered on) and ran the up.bat file. Alright. I see
          > the ZipIts orange LED blink on and off every couple of seconds. Must
          > be seeing the zpm.bin transfer. Try to upload allrom.bin and get the
          > error "Zipit is not responding - not ready to upload."
          >
          > Hmmmm....
          >
          > I tried repeatadly with the same result. Switched to a different PC.
          > No different. So I fiddled with comm settings. Still
          > no difference. I accidently did a loader.bin upload, which failed
          > because I had no loader.bin file. Ran up.bat again and was pleasantly
          > surprised to get the ZPM ..02 -57.6Kbps prompt.
          >
          > Ohhh!
          >
          > Looks good now. At the OK > prompt I proceeded with the allrom.bin
          > upload. Waited a few minutes until "done upload". Lookin good. Typed
          > YWes at OK > and waited. Got E+W PWD?ERASING, ERASED,WRITTEN!
          > Alright, that should do it. Unplugged the Zipit, disabled debug and
          > restarted.
          >
          > Ewww!
          >
          > Green LED on, blank screen. Where's Tux?! Looks like a bad upload.
          > So, I'll try a reflash. Or maybe not. Now when I run up.bat there is
          > no response from the Zipit (orange LED doesn't blink anymore) and I
          > just get a Zipit not responding message.
          >
          > Help!
          >
          > Did I just kill my Zipit??? By having a failed flash of allrom.bin,
          > have I killed my chance of doing another upload? If its not dead,
          > I might try to ditch the Acroname serial convertor and get a Max233
          > chip. Any enlightenment will be appreciated.

          No, it appears that you haven't killed it. The orange LED blinking is
          done from the loader.bin, it tells you that the loader is actively
          running. When the EP7312 processor boots with the debug line grounded,
          it goes into a dumb-download mode. While in that mode, it will accept
          *ANYTHING(!)* from the serial port and store it into the internal RAM.
          When 2048 bytes have been received (regardless of what they were, text,
          binary, a photo image), it will blindly jump to the start of the 2K
          downloaded image and try to boot it.

          The EP7312 bootloader is very very stupid, there is no protocol at all.
          Since, someone, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the TX line of
          UART0 was not needed, we cannot see the prompts sent to the outside
          world to verify that the bootloader is active. The bootloader does take
          several seconds to "get going". I've run into problems where the
          bootloader wasn't ready by the time I was uploading the loader.bin file.

          To avoid that problem, power on the Zipit (get the green LED going,
          heh). *Wait at least 5 seconds*, then run your Burn3 or whatever to
          upload loader.bin.

          TomW

          http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org
        • mrsnipe360
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 31, 2006
            Thanks Tom. I found that the Acroname converter just wouldn't work
            consistently. In fact, I was only able to get it to fully work just
            that one time. Once I got the MAX233 wired up though, I had instant
            success. Not sure why the Acroname converter was so close, but just
            not close enough. Maybe someone has some ideas on what might get it
            going.

            Now that I have the MAX chip in place I've got it sealed up in a
            nice neat package and elimanated the CR2032 battery (pulling power
            of C59(?)). I've got Steph's MiniHTTPD running and hope to setup a
            website for my Zipit hack in the near future. Took photos all the
            way through the process to share. Since the option of the WiFi hack
            is dead for all those new ZipIt hackers, I thought it would be nice
            to document the hack from hardware mod through to software flashing
            and touch upon some application config and usage. We'll see if my
            ambition holds out.

            Steve

            --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, Tom Walsh <tom@...> wrote:

> [...]
            of
            > UART0 was not needed, we cannot see the prompts sent to the
            outside
            > world to verify that the bootloader is active. The bootloader
            does take
            > several seconds to "get going". I've run into problems where the
            > bootloader wasn't ready by the time I was uploading the loader.bin
            file.

            > To avoid that problem, power on the Zipit (get the green LED
            going,
            > heh). *Wait at least 5 seconds*, then run your Burn3 or whatever
            > upload loader.bin.
            >
            > TomW
            >

            > --
            > Tom Walsh - WN3L - Embedded Systems Consultant
            > http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com
            http://openzipit.org
            > "Windows? No thanks, I have work to do..."

          • David Kuder
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
              After reading your problems, I think I'm going to order a max 233 as
              well and try redoing the serial mod with it.
              I had used a MAX3233, which afaict should have worked. but apparently
              didnt. I get a blank screen currently, and just the green led :(

              Once my MAX233 comes in, I'll try it. If that doesnt work I'll be
              offering my zipit up for parts.

              - David

            • mrsnipe360
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 3, 2006
                David,

                I'm surprised that the MAX3233 isn't working. Was your Zipit
                functional after you had finished your wiring? Or was it that you
                had reflashed the ROM and then had it fail? If your serial
                conversion and convertor are working, you should see an OK> prompt
                when you run the up.bat routine. I find that I need to run the
                routine a couple times sometimes to get the comm to sync (Q will
                quit the uploader so you can run it again).

                Steve
                --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, David Kuder <dcgrendel@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > >>
                > >> The EP7312 bootloader is very very stupid, there is no protocol
                at
                > > all.
                > >> Since, someone, in their infinite wisdom, decided that the TX
                line
                > > of
                > >> UART0 was not needed, we cannot see the prompts sent to the
                > > outside
                > >> world to verify that the bootloader is active. The bootloader
                > > does take
                > >> several seconds to "get going". I've run into problems where
                the
                > >> bootloader wasn't ready by the time I was uploading the
                loader.bin
                > > file.
                > >> To avoid that problem, power on the Zipit (get the green LED
                > > going,
                > >> heh). *Wait at least 5 seconds*, then run your Burn3 or

              • David Kuder
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 4, 2006
                  I'm not sure, after doing the wiring I immediatly booted with the debug
                  jumper and tried to launch zpm (which never responded). I removed the
                  jumper from the DBG points, and no go when I tried to boot.
                  Sometime I hope to be able to make a I2C sniffer to capture anything on
                  the I2C bus, and see if maybe my LCD got killed and in combination with
                  the 3233 not working makes the zipit look dead to me. I never got >OK / OK>

                  David

                • Steven Jacobs
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
                    David,

                    If you never got to the OK> prompt it is highly unlikely that you wrote anything to the firmware (you have to issue WYes for this to happen).  Your Zipit should still boot to the old firmware image (I'm assuming the Zipit Messenger app).  So a no boot sounds like a hardware issue at this point.  Have you triple checked you wiring? Nothing crossed, shorted?  Did it go smooth or did you have some troubles?  How did you power the 3233?  You wouldn't want to exceed the 3.3V volts expected by the Arm chip.

                    Steve

                    mrsnipe360 wrote:
> [...]
                    >>> not close enough. Maybe someone has some ideas on what might
                    > get it
                    >>> going.
                    >>>
                    >>> Now that I have the MAX chip in place I've got it sealed up in a
                    >>> nice neat package and elimanated the CR2032 battery (pulling
                    > power
                    >>> of C59(?)). I've got Steph's MiniHTTPD running and hope to
                    > setup a
                    >>> website for my Zipit hack in the near future. Took photos all
                    > the
                    >>> way through the process to share. Since the option of the WiFi
                    > hack
                    >>> is dead for all those new ZipIt hackers, I thought it would be
                    > nice
                    >>> to document the hack from hardware mod through to software
                    > flashing
                    >>> and touch upon some application config and usage. We'll see if

                  • David Kuder
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 5, 2006
                      I powered the 3233 from the same place as you would normally power the
                      MMC card mod. Currently I've got no wires in my zipit, and it still
                      refuses to do anything (blank grey screen).
                      The only thing I have left to try is sniffing the I2C bus to see if the
                      zipit is booting ok and just the LCD is dead, or what.
                      I know the 3233 was ok running from that, when first it didnt work
                      iIunplugged the wires going to TX/RX on the zipit and replaced it with a
                      jumper and did a loopback test. so the 3233 was happy. Its driving me
                      mad that I have a paperweight I spent $175 on :(

                      Tomorrow I'm going to retrieve a microscope from my sister's house,
                      hopefully I will be able to inspect the resistors and capacitors
                      surrounding the cpu and find something easily fixed there.

                      I do appreciate the help everyone has been giving.

                      David