what can I do with it ?

  • call me Dave
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2 9:45 AM
      Hi,
      I am new here. Just want to know besides IM, what kind of thing I can
      do with it ?
      Any mod that I can do to have email or even browser as well ?

      thanks
      ray
    • Tom Walsh
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3 12:27 PM
        call me Dave wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I am new here. Just want to know besides IM, what kind of thing I can
        > do with it ?
        > Any mod that I can do to have email or even browser as well ?

        Well, to go beyond the current Zipit becomes problematic. The Zipit has
        a nice amount of RAM, 16Meg is pretty reasonable, but the hard storage
        is pretty insignificant: 2Meg Flash.

        The LCD is limited to 320x240, that is a Quarter VGA, a fairly small
        screen. When you think about a GUI of some kind, you have to consider
        how you would move around on the screen, by cursor keys driving the
        mouse pointer? How would you "click" or "double-click"?

        What I'm planning on doing with the Zipit is two things. The first is
        to use the Zipit for RS232 data capture. I am a consultant and do a lot
        of serial interface to Fire Alarm Control Panels. These panels have an
        RS232 serial data stream which I then process. Many times, the people
        (customers) in the field suddenly get something unexpected and the
        embedded system cannot handle it (8051 based controller). In that case,
        I need a RAW DATA capture of the offending data. Some of these field
        personnel cannot seem to do a raw data capture and I end up getting
        "cooked" data.

        With the Zipit, plus an add-on board I designed (http://openzipit.org),
        I will have several Zipits that I can send out to connect / tap into the
        serial output of the FACPs. Those Zipits will have a startup program
        that will present a menu to set the baudrate, etc., then drop into a
        capture program. They will then echo the data stream onto the LCD so
        that you can see that you are getting "good data". Once the capture is
        over, then can send the Zipit back to me for analysis. Or, if they can,
        get it near a public WiFi access point and I can pull the data directly
        off the SD card.

        Another use for me would be to use the zipit as a remote terminal to
        access my email. I don't plan on implementing the email app on the
        Zipit, just get OpenVPN running on it. Then, I can have the Zipit join
        my VPN, ssh into my home computer, from there run an app to do IMAP
        email via a text interface.

        When I am 'on the road', or on vacation, I usually don't / can't justify
        taking a laptop. They are too big and are targets for theft. Since
        there are so many open access points (heh, Windows users with home
        networks and no clue about network security), I can always find an
        access point...

        TomW

      • David Kuder
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3 1:53 PM
          I was just reminded of Contiki. Its a TUI/GUI with windows, and a couple
          of applications, it runs on apple II's, c64's, and even linux (both text
          and gui mode) if I get some free time next week I'll try porting it
          over. I used the apple II version, on my PSP, in my a2 emu w/ wifi, and
          surfed the web. This worked quite well. Running natively on linux
          should prove quite interesting and possibly useful.
          Additionally it is designed for very limited ram.
          It would be exceptional if someone managed to get GPE/OPIE working.
          Last I tried the zipit framebuffer and lack of input devices were problems.

          David