New uploader for ZipIt

  • Tom Walsh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 4:31 PM
      I've taken the "zipit_tool_extras.zip" sources and rewrote them. The
      upl.cpp has been replaced with a C program which now listens to the
      zpm.bin for progress (and failures). The loader.a and zpm.a sources
      have been brought up to date to compile under arm-elf-gcc. There is
      also a single Makefile which builds: 5wire_loader, loader.bin and zpm.bin.

      I've also kicked the baudrate up from 57600 to 115200 with no problems
      with uploading.

      This is a sample run:

      =============== begin screen output ===============
      [tom@MasterNew 5wire_loader]$ ./5wire_loader /dev/ttyS1 zpm.bin

      PLEASE NOTE! DBG pin of ZipIt must be grounded!
      1) Turn on the Zipit: press button, wait for green LED, release.
      2) Press <ENTER> to upload Flash burner.

      Now delaying 5 seconds to give EP7312 bootloader time to start.
      Transfering bootstrap ... ZPM .03 - 57.6Kbps new cmds

      ZipIt OPERATIONS MENU -- Choose the operation(s)
      R - upload rom image: 'allrom.dat' (2MB max)
      0 - upload everything & burn 'loader.bin,zimage.dat,ramdisk.gz'
      1 - upload system loader: 'loader.bin' (8KB max)
      2 - upload kernel image: 'zimage.dat' (581KB max)
      3 - upload filesystem image: 'ramdisk.gz' (1.5MB max)
      4 - Write uploaded files into the ZipIt Flash memory.
      q - quit

      upload: loader.bin Bytes: done (1 seconds)
      upload: zimage.dat Bytes: done (51 seconds)
      upload: ramdisk.gz Bytes: done (86 seconds)
      Uploads took: 138 seconds
      BURN FLASH: E+W PWD?ERASING,ERASED,WRITTEN!
      OK >
      Turn off ZipIt, remove Ground from DBG, and enjoy!
      [tom@MasterNew 5wire_loader]$
      ================ snip =======================

      The above took less than 2.5 minutes to program linux into the ZipIt
      using the 5 wire mod. It is showing the '0' choice to program
      everything (bulk run).

      The sources for the new loader are at:
      http://www.openhardware.net/zipit/5wire_loader.tar.bz2

      Regards,

      TomW

    • the_real_mip
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2 7:51 PM
        Hi Tom,

        great work, thank you.
        Just yesterday, I played around with the bootloader.
        As I could not find a tool to convert pictures to (and from) the run-length-encoded 4bit grayscale stuff used by the loader, I wrote a simple (commandline) PHP script.

        You can get it at zibootsplashconvert.php

        PS:
        I found a very interesting project on Ulrichradig.de --> ARM Projekte --> µClinux4ARM with sourcecode for a tiny ARM bootloader wich is able to boot from a FAT16-formatted MMC.
        Maybe it's worth a closer look, as a real dual-booting solution (internal NOR-Flash or external MMC) would be fantastic.

        Bye,
        mip
      • Tom Walsh
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2 10:14 PM
          the_real_mip wrote:

          > Hi Tom,
          >
          > great work, thank you.
          > Just yesterday, I played around with the bootloader.
          > As I could not find a tool to convert pictures to (and from) the
          > run-length-encoded 4bit grayscale stuff used by the loader, I wrote a
          > simple (commandline) PHP script.
          >
          > You can get it at zibootsplashconvert.php
          > <http://opcenter.de/tmp/zibootsplashconvert.php>

          Aw, gee. You didn't write it in perl? heh

          I guess I'll look to see if I can port it to perl or C. Thanks.

          TomW

        • bsdimp
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3 11:41 AM

            <http://www.ulrichradig.de/site/arm_projekts/ARM_uClinux_Projekt/index.h\
            > tm> with sourcecode for a tiny ARM bootloader wich is able to boot from
            > a FAT16-formatted MMC.
            > Maybe it's worth a closer look, as a real dual-booting solution
            > (internal NOR-Flash or external MMC) would be fantastic.

            You might want to be carefule with this source code. The sources have
            german comments that say it is OK to use under the GPL. However, his
            web site says that the license is beer ware license, but for
            commercial use you have to talk to him.