Re: where to find MAX233A chip

  • berin1279
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
      you can sample max233 chips from microchip.com for free much
      cheaper!
      I have extra max233 chips as well somewhere but I'm not fully
      unpacked from having moved back from florida to maine yet.

      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "M. Warner Losh" <imp@...>
      wrote:

      > In message: <e538cl+a5pr@...>
      > "upt1me" <bdesarmo@...> writes:
      > : I need the MAX233A chip to perform serial mod on zipit with
      firmware
      > : version 2.10.  Can someone please send me a link to where i
      can buy
      > : one.  I've searched for them and found alot of different
      kinds of them
      > : and don't really understand the difference between them.
      Not really a
      > : hardware guy.
      >
      > You might want to consider the following:
      >
      > http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=28024
      >
      > It is the Parallax USB2SER card. It takes 3.3V level RS-232
      signals
      > and converts them to a handy, dandy USB serial port. Easier to
      work
      > with than the MAX2xx chips. I soldered my wires to the board,
      nibbled
      > a hole in the side of the zipit and mounted a standard 0.1" header
      > connect this device to. Match up the pins correctly, and it
      should be
      > a no brainer (I also brought out the DEBUG jumper to this header as
      > well). It was fairly easy. The only draw back is that you can
      likely
      > get the parts for the MAX2xx circuit for cheaper than the $30.00
      this
      > card will cost you, but not that much cheaper...
      >
      > Warner

    • Gregg C Levine
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
        Hello!
        Sorry Berin1279, you are wrong there. The MAX233A and that entire
        related line are available only from Maxim and are available through
        www.maxim-ic.com and the site has its own store, however a variety of
        companies are also marketing these chips. Free samples are available
        directly from them. And indeed most of my inventory comes from them
        that way.

        Even though a few vendors have gotten permission to second source the
        older MAX232, the MAX233 has not been second sourced, so it is only
        available from Maxim.
        ---
        Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
        ---
        "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

        --------------------~-->
        > Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home
        page now.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/5AhqlB/TM

      • berin1279
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
          no I'm not worng, I ment maxim-ic.com my room mate was talking to me
          about microchip.com as I was responding to this the other day. So the
          worng URL. they both start with M and I was DEEP in converstation.

          --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Gregg C Levine"
          <hansolofalcon@...> wrote:

          > Hello!
          > Sorry Berin1279, you are wrong there. The MAX233A and that entire
          > related line are available only from Maxim and are available through
          > www.maxim-ic.com and the site has its own store, however a variety of
          > companies are also marketing these chips. Free samples are available
          > directly from them. And indeed most of my inventory comes from them
          > that way.
          >
          > Even though a few vendors have gotten permission to second source the
          > older MAX232, the MAX233 has not been second sourced, so it is only
          > available from Maxim.
          > ---
          > Gregg C Levine hansolofalcon@...
          > ---
          > "Remember the Force will be with you. Always." Obi-Wan Kenobi

        • Eric Merz/Ceralor Entàræ
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 4, 2006
            You typed it wrong therefore were wrong via email, sorry :/ Sometimes people screw up, it's OK

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/5AhqlB/TM

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            --
            Eric Merz
            Ceralor Entàræ
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2006
              Hello!
              Nope, sorry. Won't wash out. Sorry Berin1279 your still not out of the
              woods yet. Ideally you should have posted that one immediately after I
              did, and not wait a few hours. Now we both have no idea as to how fast
              the Yahoo people did in fact do so when you did do as I stated before,
              but it still does matter to me.

              However I'll give you one point for explaining why you made that
              classic goof.
              ---

            • dave123_aml
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 7, 2006
                --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "upt1me" <bdesarmo@...> wrote:

                > I need the MAX233A chip to perform serial mod on zipit with firmware
                > version 2.10. Can someone please send me a link to where i can buy
                > one. I've searched for them and found alot of different kinds of them
                > and don't really understand the difference between them. Not really a
                > hardware guy.

                the only difference between the MAX233 and the MAX233A is the maximum
                data data. the MAX233 max is 115kbaud where as the MAX233A is
                200kbaud. since the console and other functions are all less than
                115kbaud, the MAX233 is acceptable.

                http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm/qv_pk/1798

                the MAX233 is carried by a wide variety of distributors including:

                http://www.jameco.com
                http://www.digikey.com
                http://www.bgmicro.com

                if you aren't interesting in doing it from scratch there are many
                companies like sparkfun who sell a kit:

                http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=133

                they also sell a usb device (which i believe was referenced in another
                emails):

                http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=718

                thanks
                prpplague
              • Glenn Meader
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 8, 2006
                  I've tried editing pages on the Zipit Wiki for the last couple of weeks
                  (adding new info disclosed on the list), but keep getting Python errors when
                  I submit edits. The Wiki seems to be broken.

                  http://www.elinux.org/wiki/ZipIt

                  Do others get the same behavior?
                • Alexander Gunkel