Re: 2.01 to homewbrew

  • berin1279
    Message 1 of 23 , Apr 8 7:10 PM
      Thats why I posted the elinux page which has the software and the
      link to abio which has hardware.
      As to do the Tx2 the way I got it was to use an xacto blade but use
      the tip. I then took the very fine tip placed it on the point of
      intrest (the to be solder join). I slowly rotated it till it exposed
      metal, next I took a very fine pointed soldering iron. Do not GRIND
      IT DOWN to make a point because you will just destoryed a tip unless
      your fine with that.
      The next step is to put a bead of rosned solder on the tip, hold it
      to the very fine point for about 10-15 seconds max, remove the tip
      let it cool. If you did it right you'll have a small bead of solder
      sitting on the solder point. at this point you can take your enamled
      wire, use the xacto knife scrap a bit of the coating off the fine
      guage wire, one side is fine you just need to expose the metal. Now
      take your soldering iron and add a bit of solder to the tip then put
      your solder down take the wire touch the tip which you just scraped
      a mm off of to the tip of the iron and hold till the solder takes to
      the wire. It may take upto 8 seconds or so, the coating will start
      to shrivel and take on the solder. At this point you can remove the
      extra solder from the tip of the iron TAP TAP but away from your
      zipit or use dry paper towel. Do not use a WET as in water spung
      unless its a spunge that is soaked in the correct chemical which
      escapes me right now.
      At this point you should with a dry soldering tip and a tined tip
      wire be able to solder to the solder join tx2 the FUN one. Touch the
      two points or if you want hold the tip to the wire not the tip the
      point on the board. But me I'd just touch the two points the wire
      and the point on the board but touch the tip to the wire with the
      point on the other side. Then you can push the wire up onto the
      solder point when it melts. Remove the iron slowly so not to
      agravate the joint you just made. When it cools after about 2
      seconds but wait 5 at least, give the wire a slight tug. If it
      doesnt want to give dab a very shallow blob of hot glue on the
      joint. And your done, run your wire where ever you need but not till
      the hot glue cools.

      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Merz/Ceralor Ent�r�"
      <ceralor@...> wrote:

      > Actually, Berin, that link still has no software mentioned. It
      took me
      > asking someone here where the hell it was to find it. The link
      only talks
      > about what to use to make it, not very well documented, and has no
      data on
      > the file to use NOR a link. That's that aibohack serial page. Only
      good for
      > the soldering, no good for the software.
      >
      > Now, if I could make something stick to TxD2, I'd be on my way,
      but even
      > scratching the solder mask off with an exacto knife VERY carefully
      [no, no
      > traces were cut], I Still can't tin it or attach solder to the pad.

    • Jeffrey D. Shaffer
      Message 2 of 23 , Apr 8 7:23 PM
        While I'm not trying to fight with the apparently excited Berin1279.
        Here is how I came to the conclusions I did:

        > I see no context asking HOW TO operate the software in callmeturkeh
        > question. Nore do I see a direct question asking how to install the

        The original poster stated

        However the only bits of information I've managed to find on
        actually getting Burn3 on was in zipit_tool_extras.zip the readme
        tells me zpm.bin gets uploaded via the 5 wire mod but I'm not
        really sure where I'm going from there.

        Now. To me, that sounds EXACTLY like he's asking how to use the
        software, specificaly asking how to install burn3 priod to the
        openzipit stuff.

        Though I do agree the poster never asked about installing the
        hardware.. he clearly stated that he saw about hthe 5-wire hack and
        3-wire hack, yet did not find any software for hte 3-wire version:

        From reading the threads here I understand it is no longer
        possible to do the WiFi hack and that I need to do a 5 or 3-wire
        mod.

        Also the 3-wire mod is mentioned and would be easier for me to do
        but I haven't seen any specific software that is written to use
        it am I missing something?

        Now, I never said you didn't help him (though other's have), I am
        merely clarifying the problem so that either I, myself, can help sort
        it out later, or someone else in the Zipitwireless group may be able
        to help the original poster.

        I personally don't care "who said what", I just want to see that the
        questions get answered (and point out that I'm not just babbling here!)

        Cheers,
        Jeffrey

        PS -- Thanks for hte great info and suggestions on soldering, Berin. I
        do believe that will be very helpful when I do my 5-wire hack later
        this month.
      • Eric Merz/Ceralor Entàræ
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 8 7:34 PM
          Thanks a lot for that, but I've already tried that. I know how to use a soldering iron, and the wire I'm using is very VERY fine wrapping wire with a plastic coating that I can gently slit away. However, touching an exposed tip to the xacto-scratched pad doesn't seem to complete the connection at all, which has me worried. That's sans solder. or do I really need to complete the solder for best connection?

          On 4/8/06, berin1279 <berin1279@...> wrote:
          <cut for space>

          --
          Eric Merz
          Ceralor Entàræ
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 8 7:37 PM
            Look,

            I believe I can understand berin's frustration.  Many of you took to long, hard road, months of dedication and work to get this working -- how dare a newcomer demand all of this info without putting in some sweat equity first?  After all, it's been documented.

            And I can understand everyone else's.  Many of you have tried looking, but are not as saavy as the people who figured it out.  The documentation is crystal clear to the saaviest, but sketchy to the novice or an educated new-comer.  Research yields one or two primary links which you pursue, but come to find out, a lot of it's documented elsewhere.

            This probably happens because the information is scattered.  There's a nice wiki with lots of great info.  Yet, no newcomer's reading it.  Why?  This is a common issue -- especially with the Yahoo forum.  Searches for zipit support point to the yahoo forum, but the yahoo search function well, ... sucks.

            Consider this:  Searching for "zipit forum" and "zipit support" yielded the following relevant links:

            http://www.tucows.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=187768&tree_id=559
            http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/453057-zipit-wireless-messenger.html

            Interesting, scanning the first link refers me to:
            http://www.elkgrovewireless.com/zipit/
            http://nocat.net/~rob/hackery/zipit.html

            Now, if I read very carefully, I see:
            "An embedded Linux site run by embedded Linux technologist and former Lineo CTO Tim Riker, meanwhile, has documented reflashing the Zipit without resorting to soldering. We asked Riker for a brief explanation of the project's status and goals, and he replied as follows "

            That link above leads me to http://elinux.org/wiki/ZipIt.  But while scanning for help on Zipit, my primary objective is to get to a group of people who knows about the zipit -- I would most likely have followed the yahoo forum link and begun my search there.  Then, disillusioned at the poor search function which says a 3-wire mod is available but doesn't tell me how, I would have scanned the other two links.  (The novice and newcomer's point).

            Gosh, but if only I searched google once again for "zipit 3 wire mod," it would have put the http://elinux.org/wiki/ZipIt site at the top of the list. (berin's point).

            It's no one's fault, really.  It's how the whole forum morphed -- scattered links and hacks, and a yahoo forum used for ... convenience of forwarding message posts to email for the old-timers?  New comers don't have the wealth of messages in the inbox to search upon -- they have the yahoo search.

            This very precarious situation is happening at the omnifi forum this very moment.  And I'm a "berin" of sorts there.  We've got the yahoo forum (http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/omnifi/), but we've got a private forum that mirrors all content of the yahoo in near-real-time (http://www.linuxfi.com/forum/).  We've tried to migrate over but that fell over like a wet taco, and thus we have newcomers everyday that seem to ask the same question over and over.  I've since put myself in their shoes and tried to understand.

            Sorry for the long post - but the moral of the story is: this will be likely to continue unless the infrastructure of the whole forum changes.  It's nobody's fault.

            ~lum
          • Tom Walsh
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 8 7:51 PM
              Kevin Winter wrote:

              >Your answer didn't help him with his primary question: how to complete
              >the 3-wire mod. Sure if you search we find info on the 5-wire mod,
              >and good instructions on wiring up the three wire, but the three wire
              >software is lacking, as most (experience) members opted for the 5-wire

              I looked at the reference manual for the EP7312 and read up on the boot
              loader mode to familiarize myself with how it operates. Interesting
              idea to put a blind-loader into the processor...

              As far as the 3/5 wire mod Flash programming software is concerned, I
              had contacted AiboPet via email and he pointed me to a copy of it
              (http://www.aibohack.com/zipit/zipit_tool_extras.zip). It is an MSDOS
              executable. I still have to look it over and try it out.

              >mod. Personally, i find either mod too daunting for my limited
              >soldering skills.

              Rosin, use a good dab of rosin over the hole, then tin it by getting a
              bead of solder onto it. Then, prep the wire by also getting a bulge of
              solder on the wire. I used 28ga wire wrap wire for connecting things
              inside the zipit. I also use a 40watt iron for this, carefully.

              TomW

            • M. Warner Losh
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 8 8:17 PM
                In message: <443876A5.2060905@...>
                Tom Walsh <tom@...> writes:
                : Kevin Winter wrote:
                : >Your answer didn't help him with his primary question: how to complete
                : >the 3-wire mod. Sure if you search we find info on the 5-wire mod,
                : >and good instructions on wiring up the three wire, but the three wire
                : >software is lacking, as most (experience) members opted for the 5-wire
                : >
                :
                : As far as the 3/5 wire mod Flash programming software is concerned, I
                : had contacted AiboPet via email and he pointed me to a copy of it
                : (http://www.aibohack.com/zipit/zipit_tool_extras.zip). It is an MSDOS
                : executable. I still have to look it over and try it out.

                This sort of bootloader is common in the embedded world. I'm
                presently working with the Atmel AT91RM9200, and it kicks into an
                xmodem download mode over the serial port. I'm currently writing up a
                first stage boot loader for that part for a custom board we're
                developing in my day job...

                : >mod. Personally, i find either mod too daunting for my limited
                : >soldering skills.
                : >
                : >
                : >
                : Rosin, use a good dab of rosin over the hole, then tin it by getting a
                : bead of solder onto it. Then, prep the wire by also getting a bulge of
                : solder on the wire. I used 28ga wire wrap wire for connecting things
                : inside the zipit. I also use a 40watt iron for this, carefully.

                After I soldered the wire, I used some anti-static scotch tape to hold
                the wire down. I also terminated the wire with a .1" header which I
                superglued to the board and a cut hole in the side of the zipit to
                plug the circuit into. Since I used the usb solution, I made sure the
                pinout would work with the usb <-> 3.3V serial dongle thing I got. I
                found that taping the wires down helped a little, but supergluing the
                header helped the most. Before I did that I managed to pop the wires
                off a few times, which was frustrating, but left me with a very well
                tinned pad to solder to :-) After it has been rock solid for
                hacking...

                Warner
              • berin1279
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 8 8:21 PM
                  you used a 40watt wire? intresting I used a 15watt because standerd
                  SMD solder is low temp with hot air.

                  But on the other hand for Tx2 I tend to agree a 40watt should be
                  used on this one point.

                  --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, Tom Walsh <tom@...> wrote:

                  > Kevin Winter wrote:
                  >

                  > >Your answer didn't help him with his primary question: how to
                  complete
                  > >the 3-wire mod. Sure if you search we find info on the 5-wire
                  mod,
                  > >and good instructions on wiring up the three wire, but the three
                  wire
                  > >software is lacking, as most (experience) members opted for the 5-
                  wire

                  > I looked at the reference manual for the EP7312 and read up on the
                  boot
                  > loader mode to familiarize myself with how it operates.
                  Interesting
                  > idea to put a blind-loader into the processor...
                  >
                  > As far as the 3/5 wire mod Flash programming software is
                  concerned, I
                  > had contacted AiboPet via email and he pointed me to a copy of it
                  > (http://www.aibohack.com/zipit/zipit_tool_extras.zip). It is an
                  MSDOS
                  > executable. I still have to look it over and try it out.
                  >
                  > >mod. Personally, i find either mod too daunting for my limited
                  > >soldering skills.
                  > >

                  > Rosin, use a good dab of rosin over the hole, then tin it by
                  getting a
                  > bead of solder onto it. Then, prep the wire by also getting a
                  bulge of
                  > solder on the wire. I used 28ga wire wrap wire for connecting
                  things
                  > inside the zipit. I also use a 40watt iron for this, carefully.
                  >
                  > TomW
                  >

                  > --
                  > Tom Walsh - WN3L - Embedded Systems Consultant
                  > http://openhardware.net, http://cyberiansoftware.com
                  > "Windows? No thanks, I have work to do..."

                • Tom Walsh
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 8 9:22 PM
                    berin1279 wrote:

                    >you used a 40watt wire? intresting I used a 15watt because standerd
                    >SMD solder is low temp with hot air.

                    I have a small 10 watt pencil that I've tried, but you cannot get enough
                    heat into the joint with it. I take a conical tip for the 40 watt iron
                    and file a small flat to one side to hold a bead of solder. That works
                    the best. My hot air pencil is a PITA to use!

                    TomW

                  • callmeturkeh
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 11 2:40 AM
                      Right Im still intrested in this and thanks guys so far for you replys
                      so far. I see there is some confusion about what I was actulay asking
                      for help with so ill try and be a bit more specific.

                      Doing the 3/5wire hardware mod wasent so much the problem as what to
                      do when i have it in place.

                      As berlin says in the readme it says dump files in folder run the
                      upload file. However im not exactly what to dump in there and if it
                      works with just the 5 wire or will work with the 3 wire.

                      Basiclay I want just to have a clear idea of what im doing, I live in
                      the UK and had to get my friend to pick me up a zipit while on hoilday
                      in the US so if i brick it theres not much chance of me getting a new
                      one! so I want to remove any guesswork but was having trouble finding
                      any documentation that was concise.

                      Another poster mentioned he would be prodcing a tutorial so i dont
                      really mind waiting untill he has completed somthing like that if it
                      is more in line with the level of detail in the wifi setups.

                      Sorry took so long for a reply thanks again for your help so far, will
                      know to check back more frequently next time :)

                      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "berin1279" <berin1279@...> wrote:

                      > I see no context asking HOW TO operate the software in callmeturkeh
                      > question. Nore do I see a direct question asking how to install the
                      > hardware. I see more or less a square one where do I go. Seeing as
                      > how its been one day and he has not even responded yet, but I have
                      > had 3 people say I didnt help at all.
                      >
                      > FIRST OF ALL YOUR JUMPING THE GUN How about you let him say I didnt
                      > help before you answer for him :).
                      >
                      > Second is one of a few things, ether he hasin. He tryed and
                      > stoped/failed/got stumped/stuck then not had time to respond. Or he
                      > has found the info he was looking for and has sence continued to
                      > what ever point needing no questions answerd.
                      >
                      > Lastly what does linux have to do with a dos utility to update the
                      > firmware???? Which as well clearly states dump files to folder then
                      > type go to start.
                      >
                      > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey D Shaffer
                      > <jdshaffer@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Actually, I believe the original question wasn't so much about the
                      > > hardware hack itself (as yes, that is quite well documented), but
                      > what to
                      > > do with the software after one's hacked their zippy. There is
                      > little clear
                      > > or step-by-step documentation on the "how to install / use the
                      > software"
                      > > as most people assume the end user is already familiar with
                      > linux... (at
                      > > least that's my take on it.)
                      > >
                      > > I'm in the same boat, but when it comes to the software part, I'll
                      > just
                      > > keep trying, keep looking up linux docs, and ask. Then I'll write
                      > it all
                      > > down for the next "not so steeped in linux" wannabe hackers (like
                      > myself!)
                      > >
                      > > Cheers,
                      > > Jeffrey
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > "Vivement mais sans brutalite"

                    • berin1279
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 11 7:22 AM
                        So I'm to asume you have done nothing to your zipit so far? I also
                        get the feeling you still have done no reading of the elinux.org
                        pages based on the level of detail in your responce. And i'm not
                        just talking language based asumption. You need to start reading
                        http://elinux.org/wiki/ZipIt basicly along the lines of what your
                        asking the rest of the info is below. I my self read every page of
                        the elinux.org when I was first starting, the only major question I
                        asked here was how to setup an NFS server which was never answerd.
                        So I figured it out my self and posted a HOW TO on setting up a
                        windowsxp NFS server on elinux.org.

                        A thing to keep in mind, so long as you install the hardware mod
                        adding the serial adapter correctly. You can do no harm to the zipit
                        other then screwing up your software on the 2meg flash. Then its
                        just a matter of replacing the software correctly to a version that
                        works. Again so long as you don't do any thing worng in the
                        construction of the serial mod.

                        As I posted in the first responce with a link that answers a lot of
                        the question's you just asked. The only thing I know it wont answer
                        clearly is about the 3 wire 5 wire mod's software requirements. The
                        3 wire mod works with the linux version of the upload program. The 5
                        wire works with the dos/windows version of software ( i just answerd
                        these same things in the last post to someone else asking the same
                        question). The thing you need to find out for sure is if your zipit
                        was updated to 2.01. If you are unsure its been updated to 2.01,
                        running the zipit software orignal you hit the menu key and go to
                        about. That will tell you the version..
                        if you have 2.01 yes the serial mod will be your one and only
                        option. You then need to get a max233a chip. and as I had posted the
                        link before follow the instructions on where things solder to and
                        how. It also tells you the software you need to download same with
                        the last post I had just posted, your questions have already been
                        answerd. The thing to then keep in mind is you MUST use no more then
                        3.5v supply voltage to plug into the VCC of the chip as I posted in
                        the last message about someone asking about the serial mod with well
                        defined what am I doing wong question's. The last posted question I
                        gave all the same answers. You need to use a regulator, 2 1.5v cells
                        in series or a 3v-3.3v button battery as a power source. The rest is
                        just wiring, but I do suggest getting a max233a get a socket that
                        matches that chip and perf board. That will make it so you dont hose
                        up your chip in any way by soldering it to a board. The max233a's
                        are shock resistive but its always nice to use sockets, then you can
                        use the chip in other devices when not needed in that one.

                        If you are still un sure of your ablites to do the mod I suggest you
                        get some help from a friend. Reason for that is if I break down the
                        howto any more when they have been answerd with in the past few days
                        of post's already. Your going past the realm of common sence.

                        --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "callmeturkeh"

                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 12 7:03 PM
                          M. Warner Losh wrote:

                          >In message: <443876A5.2060905@...>
                          > Tom Walsh <tom@...> writes:
                          >: Kevin Winter wrote:
                          >: >Your answer didn't help him with his primary question: how to complete
                          >: >the 3-wire mod. Sure if you search we find info on the 5-wire mod,
                          >: >and good instructions on wiring up the three wire, but the three wire
                          >: >software is lacking, as most (experience) members opted for the 5-wire
                          >: >
                          >: I looked at the reference manual for the EP7312 and read up on the boot
                          >: loader mode to familiarize myself with how it operates. Interesting
                          >: idea to put a blind-loader into the processor...
                          >:
                          >
                          >This sort of bootloader is common in the embedded world. I'm
                          >presently working with the Atmel AT91RM9200, and it kicks into an
                          >xmodem download mode over the serial port. I'm currently writing up a
                          >first stage boot loader for that part for a custom board we're
                          >developing in my day job...

                          Yeah, I've been doing some LPC2000 work myself. Finally looks like I'm
                          getting away from 8051 & 80c188 coding for now.

                          The interesting thing about the EP7312 bootloader is that it appears to
                          be completely blind. It doesn't even look for checksum, just sucks it
                          in and executes it. Wonder how much simpler you can get than that? heh.

                          TomW