Re: How to use the 5-wire mod?

  • berin1279
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28, 2006
      the serial port mod is just a few dos programs and your image.
      connect run the dos app. to reflash the zipit. you'll find it in the
      downloads section. with zipit utils etc... zipit_tool_extras.zip
      I really cant give much more help then look at the images under
      photos and read the serial info in that file. under the files
      download area.
      sence your girls have been using the zipit you'll have to do the
      serial mod anyways. But the thing of it is is that the files
      download for openzipit is setup for you to build your own build.
      with the moduals you need. till you get an NFS server up and running
      OR solder in the mmc/sd card your going to be stuck with just a hand
      full of usful utils. my to be results are going to be me trying to
      get dual mmc/sd sockets so I can get upto 8gigs of storage. over
      kill?? maybe maybe not. but at least I could up/download lots of
      stuff I need or have plenty of mp3 music handy :).

      basicly the 2 most helpful mod's IMO are the backlight and the flash
      memory socket. one so you can SEEEEEEE the screen, and one so you
      can load enuff useful software for the thing to be of any reall use.

      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "kslater61" <kevin.slater@...>
      wrote:

      > Ok,
      >
      > daughters have given up on the Zipit. They think it's cute but they
      > seem to prefer one of the 2 floater Thinkpads instead, go figure.
      >
      > So I'm ready to take on the 5-wire serial mod, but once I complete
      the
      > mod, how do I make use of it to enable reflashing the Zipit with
      > OpenZipit? I've seen a few pages with details of how to do a wifi
      > flash, but nothing concerning the serial port.
      >
      > ...Kevin

    • ruudermers
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2006
        Thanks! Does this work for the 3-wire mod as well.
        (I was no table to find the code on the files section,
        but this helped: http://elinux.org/wiki/ZipItWiFiFlash)

        Bye, Ruud