Re: [zipitwireless] Adam's Firmware -> OpenZipit

  • Kevin Winter
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
      Just as an FYI, it _is_ possible and seems safe enough to reflash on
      top of Adam's Software install. Just follow the normal instructions
      for OpenZipit as if you have already performed the BURN3 install.

      Works for me :)

      ~Kevin

      On 1/23/06, Noobacide <noobacide@...> wrote:
      > I *believe* that the partition deal doesnt affect using zflash, since
      > it flashes the chip as a whole, where the method used by adam is using
      > a partiton structure (defined in the mtd drivers that get loaded as
      > part of flashing the chip using the instructions for installing it)
      > the partition table is not on the chip, it resides completely in the
      > physmap stuff. all that the kernel does is load the gzipped initrd
      > image from 0x90000 to the end of the gzipped data.
      >
      > Don't feel bad about cracking your LCD on the first unit, my zipit
      > shipped with a corner broken off the lcd and the case not even
      > assembled correctly. If I had payed attention when I bought it I'd
      > have grabbed a different unit off the shelf. Plus even thinking about
      > doing the el backlight scares me. Besides being able to scratch,
      > crack, or otherwise kill the lcd, running the wires, and mounting the
      > inverter somewhere, all would drive me mad.
      >
      > On 1/23/06, Kevin Winter <therebelcountry@...> wrote:
      > > Hey all,
      > > I installed Adam's firmware initially (after completing my BURN3
      > > install. I'm wanting to switch back to OpenZipit (i don't really have
      > > a use for the extra partitions and like to keep things simple). I
      > > know that the Adam's Firmware install required the creation of extra
      > > partitions, whereas it seems (to the best of my knowledge) that the
      > > zflash utility merely flashes the chip. Now, my question is, does
      > > zflash flash the ENTIRE chip, or just to a single partition? (the
      > > first i would assume). If it does the entire chip, i can simply use
      > > zflash without a problem. However, (and this is why i am writing), if
      > > zflash writes to the first partition, and i try to flash OpenZipit, i
      > > might overwrite the first partition resulting in a possibly corrupted
      > > partition table/filesystem and bricking a second unit of mine (i was
      > > the guy who cracked the LCD trying to put it back together after the
      > > backlight install :().
      > >
      > > Anywho, any advice you could give me on the proper way to go back to
      > > OpenZipit from Adam's install would be appreciated.
      > >
      > > ~Kevin
      > > --
      > > Open Source, Open Mind

      Open Source, Open Mind
    • Kevin Winter
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2006
        Well, call me fickle. I sorta decided to switch _back_ to adam's
        firmware. so i'm following the instructions (this is my second time
        doinh this) and it seems that openZipit doesn't have the mtdblock1,2,3
        devices after insmod'ing the drivers. anyone care to enlighten me?

        when i first installed adam's, it was from BURN3, went without a hitch
        - so i guess you could call me a bit hesitant to start dd'ing when
        devices are missing. Has anyone successfully gone from openZipit ->
        Adam's?

        Thanks in advance.
        -Kevin

        --