Re: MMC/SD mod a success?

  • bomberman0
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2005
      Great, thanks!!!

      I just logged into my ZipIt from a friends house (SSH into my server,
      then to my box, then telnet to my ZipIt - now that's l33t, lol) and
      checked the output of dmesg - Looks like it's working!!!
      :)

      I just wanted to thank everyone once again for the soldering tips as
      well as everyone's hard work on creating the MMC mod and driver. Your
      work has opened up tons of new possibilities for the device! :)

      Thanks!

      Albert

      --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "MigraineMan" <jimbobbus@a...>
      wrote:

      > After you insmod the driver, look at the status messages using dmesg.
      > If the card's responding properly, you should see something like -
      >
      > mmc Hardware init
      > mmc Card init
      > mmc Card init *1*
      > mmc Card init *2*
      > Size = 249856, hardsectsize = 512, sectors = 499712
      >
      > If the card didn't initialize properly, or the interface is messed up,
      > you'll have error messages instead of text like the above (note: the
      > "Size" and "sectors" values will differ depending on your installed
      > card size.)
      >
      > The "Size" and "sectors" parameters are information about the card
      > physical properties, and are reported before the formatting is
      > interpreted.
      >
      > MM
      >
      > --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "bomberman0" <asantoni@u...>
      wrote:

      > > Hi everyone,
      > >
      > > I think I finally managed to successfully solder and mount the SD
      > > socket tonight. I owe everyone who gave me advice a HUGE thanks - The
      > > advice helped me a ton. (Pre-tinning and practice are key!)
      > >
      > > Anyways, I'm not sure if my socket is working or not because I don't
      > > have an ext2 formatted card (I'll get it running tomorrow), but for
      > > now, the output I get is:
      > >
      > > # insmod /mnt/net/mmc.o
      > > Using /mnt/net/mmc.o
      > > # mount /dev/mmca1 /mmc
      > > mount: Mounting /dev/mmca1 on /mmc failed: Invalid argument
      > >
      > > ... So at this point, I've got the MMC card inserted into the socket -
      > > Does this output look right for a card formatted with vfat (or
      > > whatever the normal one is)?
      > >
      > > I'm hooking up my card reader tomorrow, and I'll try formatting the
      > > card with ext2 as per the instructions around the mailing list.
      > >
      > > Lastly, can anyone give me the exact instructions for getting the card
      > > working, so we can post them in the wiki? (eg. mknod stuff, insmod
      > > stuff, etc...)
      > >
      > > Thanks again!
      > >
      > > Albert

    • dcgrendel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2006
        --- In zipitwireless@yahoogroups.com, "bomberman0" <asantoni@u...> wrote:

        > Great, thanks!!!
        >
        > I just logged into my ZipIt from a friends house (SSH into my server,
        > then to my box, then telnet to my ZipIt - now that's l33t, lol) and
        > checked the output of dmesg - Looks like it's working!!!
        > :)
        >
        > I just wanted to thank everyone once again for the soldering tips as
        > well as everyone's hard work on creating the MMC mod and driver. Your
        > work has opened up tons of new possibilities for the device! :)
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Albert

        another person who went through the perils of soldering to parts
        smaller than they ever wanted to and succeded!

        some advice about formatting:
        change the partition ID so if you put the card in a windows pc it wont
        popup "you wish to format?" which is far to easy to accidently click
        yes on.

        after formatting you will likely want to do two things: setup your
        fstab or other mounting scheme to use noatime (dont write last access
        time) to save the flash from overuse, and use tune2fs -i 0 to disable
        interval based fscking, since the zipit doesnt have a RTC.