Editorial Writing Contest

  • Kristin Schuchman
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2003
      Thanks for the overwhelming response to the Nervy Girl Creative
      Nonfiction Writing Contest. We will announce the winner on our
      website at www.nervygirlzine.com on January 7, 2004. Please forward
      the details of our latest contest to all of your opinionated friends
      and colleagues.

      You can also find this information at
      www.nervygirlzine.com/writingcontest.html

      ************************************
      Nervy Girl Editorial Writing Contest
      ************************************

      Opinions are like you-know-whats, everyone has one! We know you do,
      and we're inviting you to share it with us. Nervy Girl is seeking
      your best news editorial about the next presidential election. Don't
      assume that we are only looking for editorials with a certain
      opinion. Write what you think, back it up and, no matter what, we're
      willing and able to be dazzled. (Please don't send rants; qualify
      your writing with researched facts.)

      Winning entry will receive $100.00, a Nervy Girl t-shirt, online
      publication in Nervy Girl, and bragging rights. (Men are welcome to
      enter, too.)

      Only one entry per person, please. Simultaneous submissions will be
      accepted, but please let us know if your work is picked up for
      publication elsewhere.

      Editorials can be a maximum of 800 words and should be sent typed and
      double-spaced, along with a SASE (for response), a cover letter, and
      a $5.00 entry fee to:

      Nervy Girl Magazine, P.O. Box 33100, Portland, OR 97292

      Electronic submissions are also accepted (and encouraged), so long as
      the $5.00 entry fee is paid through Paypal, money order, or personal
      check. Send entry as a .txt or MS Word (.doc) attachment to
      submit@.... Applicants are encouraged to join the Nervy
      Girl e-newsletter by emailing NervyGirlnewsletter-
      subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

      Submissions must be postmarked by January 15, 2004. No manuscripts
      will be returned, except in special circumstances. The winner must be
      willing to sign a writer's contract.

      With each submission, contestant must include:
      - title of the piece
      - mailing address
      - phone number
      - fax number, if applicable
      - email address, if applicable
      - word count of submission
      - pen name, if applicable
      - actual name

      The winning entry will be announced January 31 on the website, the
      Nervy Girl egroup and the Nervy Girl e-newsletter, so keep checking
      back to http://www.nervygirlzine.com/for updates!