Pick Of The Month

  • aipman1
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2002
      ((Quick note before the posting: If you have never heard of the
      Small Press Association or our review magazine, Obscurity Unlimited,
      go here to investigate further and check our credentials:
      http://www.dimestoreproductions.com now...on with the post...))

      So There I was, reading my e-mail when what should appear...a
      letter from Steve Noppinger, one of the principals behind the
      Potlatch project. He told me of an idea that he had, that he'd
      discussed with a few people at the SPX. He proceeded to lay out the
      basic idea of a small press book club. In his talking of it, he
      noted that there are few people with the position or resources or
      basic desire to accomplish it, even though it's a sound idea. I
      agree. Fortunitely, I just happen to fill the qualifications.
      Thusly, I scrutinized the idea, and as it goes, did some
      molding of it on my own, and have come up with what will be known as
      The Pick Of The Month. Basically, in each issue of Obscurity
      Unlimited, we will be choosing one comic book that will be the Pick
      of the month, and people who have subscribed to the pick of the
      month will be sent a copy of that comic. We may even expand the idea
      to cover a pick of the month for different catagories of zines and
      such as we continue to develop it.
      We will not be announceing/ advertising this new project until
      the new year, when OU will be going monthly again. But in the
      meantime, we have some work to do to get it set up. Basically, we
      need to start lining up agreements for buying copies in
      bulk/wholesale with publishers. So if you are a publisher who is
      interested in receiving bulk orders, we need you to contact us. We
      need to know what your minimun order would be to receive a bulk
      price. We will be asking for a distributor-level price, as we are,
      at the same time as the development of this, working on getting more
      comic stores to use OU as their guide to ordering small press, and
      need to be able to offer them a competitive price.
      Distributors Pay 40% of the cover price so that they can charge
      retailers 50%...and that is the deal we would be looking for. We
      will keep this simple for now, and leave the rest up to development
      as we go. There are many aspects of our system of running a review
      magazine that this will impact on in a very favorable way. Right
      now, it's fact-finding time. Think about what your small press
      publishing needs are, and let us know what your minimun bulk order
      (in general, for any of your publications, in # of copies) for a 40%
      off cover price order would be...and we'll work on getting you that
      order as soon as possible.
      Reply to Ian@... to let me know

      Ian Shires