The REAL Reason People Aren't Buying (You'll Be Surprised)

  • Judy Murdoch
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 3, 2009
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Judy Murdoch
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      * zinesters2@yahoogroups.com

      This article has been distributed by:

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:

      The REAL Reason People Aren't Buying (You'll Be Surprised)

      Article Description:

      There are any number of reasons offers fall flat. One reason that
      gets overlooked by most marketing experts (including me until
      recently) is what I will be discussing in this article. I was
      surprised to learn this information, and you may be surprised as

      Additional Article Information:

      Distribution Date and Time: 2009-03-03 10:12:00

      Written By: Judy Murdoch
      Copyright: 2009
      Contact Email: mailto:judy@...

      For more free-reprint articles by Judy Murdoch, please visit:

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:

      The REAL Reason People Aren't Buying (You'll Be Surprised)
      Copyright (c) 2009 Judy Murdoch
      Highly Contagious Marketing

      Last week someone in a business discussion forum posted this

      "Help! No One is Responding to My Offer"

      The person posting, let's call her Susan, went on to say that
      she loves her work and gets great results for her clients. She's
      excited about a new service she's promoting, yet no one was
      responding to her emailed offer.

      Now Susan is no slouch when it comes to marketing. She sold
      classified advertising for a big city newspaper, she's been to
      lots of marketing and sales classes, and has a stack of
      marketing-related books on her desk.

      The emailed offers she's sending reflect her best efforts. And
      yet, something isn't working.

      When this happens Susan's self-confidence as a business owner
      falters. She wonders if she's somehow missing some essential
      talent needed to run a successful business.

      I know I've felt this way when my promotions are unsuccessful.
      Perhaps you can relate?

      So What the Heck is Going On!?

      There are any number of reasons offers fall flat. One reason that
      gets overlooked by most marketing experts (including me until
      recently) is this:

      We fail to acknowledge our customer's need to belong.

      (Note: I want to acknowledge my teacher and mentor, Mark Silver,
      of http://www.heartofbusiness.com on whose work this article is

      The Need to Belong is a Powerful Human Motivator

      Thousands of years ago, human survival depended on membership to
      a tribe. In a tribe, our ancestors had a better chance of getting
      food, shelter, and protection. To be cast out of a tribe was more
      often than not a death sentence.

      Today belonging to a tribe is no longer about physical survival
      -- at least not in an obvious way. Yet it remains a powerful
      influence on what we do; on what YOUR CUSTOMERS do.

      In fact, your customer's need to belong is so important that it
      actually trumps their need for your solution and their ability to

      How the Need to Belong Affects Whether Your Customer Buys

      When your customer sees or hears your marketing message--whether
      it's on the home page of your website, an email you sent, or a
      post card you mailed, his or her decision to take the next step
      is proceeded by three "micro-decisions."

      In order to take the next step (for example, click the "Buy"
      button) your customer must answer yes to all three questions in
      this order:

      1. "Can I fully be myself and feel fully accepted if I work with
      this company?" (Do I Belong?)

      2. "How much do I want really this?"

      3. "Can I afford it?"

      Your customer must answer "yes" to all three questions in order
      of importance to act on your call to action. If at any point they
      answer "no" you've lost them:

      * They'll go on to another website

      * They'll delete your email

      * They'll throw out your post card.

      This is why addressing the need to belong is so important.

      It also may seem a little mysterious to you as a business owner.
      Perhaps you're thinking, "all this makes sense to me but how
      exactly do I help my customers feel like they belong on the home
      page of my website?"

      How to Create a Sense of Belong in Your Marketing

      No, you don't need to start your marketing message off with
      "Hey I love you. Here comes a great big hug just for you!" Even
      Barney the dinosaur doesn't say that at the very beginning of
      the show.

      Plus you'd probably creep people out a little.

      Here are four ways to reassure prospects "yes, you're at the
      right place to get the help you need," so that they can take the
      next step.

      1. Begin your marketing message with who you help and the problem
      you help them with.

      For example, "technical consultants who are tired of struggling
      to get their next contract."

      2. Expand on the problem by addressing issues such as:

      * how the problem shows up in regular everyday life

      * emotions they may be feeling

      * Solutions they've already tried that didn't work

      * Why those solutions often don't work

      If it feels tricky for you to address emotions in writing, try
      addressing these points as you would if you were in a
      conversation with a trusted colleague.

      When I began writing the way I speak, I found it became a lot
      easier to write about customer problems in a way that was natural
      and empathetic but still within the boundaries of the business

      If you're still feeling stuck, re-read the first few paragraphs
      of this article to get a sense of how I introduced the problem
      and expanded on it.

      3. Introduce your solution only after you've addressed your
      customer's experience with the problem.

      Once you've covered the problem and your customer's experience
      with it (in steps 1 and 2) you've told your customer in effect:

      "I understand your problem and know how awful it feels to
      struggle with this problem. You're not alone."

      You can demonstrate your expertise and talk about your solution.
      Again, in this article, I first talked about the problem in
      detail. I then transitioned to "here's what can cause this
      problem" and "here are steps you can take to take care of this

      4. Once you've discussed the problem, the customer's experience
      of the problem, and your solution, add your call to action.

      At this point folks fitting your ideal customer profile will be
      feeling seen, heard, and accepted enough to be ready to learn
      more about how you can help and what it will take in terms of
      time, money, etc.

      This is where you can add a call of action like, "Click here for
      more details and to register for my xyz program."

      Bottom Line

      There's an old adage that "People don't care about what you
      know until they know you care." In this case, it is so true.

      Your marketing needs to first address your customer's to belong
      before you say a word about value-added and cost. Otherwise, your
      customer will move on to another vendor who makes them feel
      better understood.

      Judy Murdoch helps small business owners create low-cost,
      effective marketing campaigns using word-of-mouth referrals,
      guerrilla marketing activities, and selected strategic alliances.
      To download a free copy of the workbook, "Where Does it Hurt?
      Marketing Solutions to the problems that Drive Your Customers
      Crazy!" go to http://www.judymurdoch.com/workbook.htm
      You can contact Judy at 303-475-2015 or judy@...

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Judy Murdoch can be reached at:

      for Print Permission at:

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Judy Murdoch