A Hard Look at PPC, Click Fraud and the Alternatives

  • Bill Platt
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2007
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bill Platt
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      *
      *
      * zinesters2@yahoogroups.com
      *

      This article has been distributed by:
      http://Article-Distribution.com

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      ==============

      A Hard Look at PPC, Click Fraud and the Alternatives

      Article Description:
      ====================

      Just a few years ago, pay-per-click search engine advertising
      seemed like it was the answer to the prayers of webmasters vying
      for search traffic. Given the increasingly competitive nature of
      PPC advertising and spiralling costs, many small- to medium-
      sized businesses have begun to question that wisdom. With click
      fraud running at 25% and click costs for certain keywords hitting
      $50 a click, advertisers are looking for other solutions.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2007-01-08 10:01:00

      Written By: Bill Platt
      Copyright: 2006-2007
      Contact Email: mailto:comments@...

      Bill Platt's Picture URL:
      http://thephantomwriters.com/x-images/bill_platt_80x105b.jpg

      For more free-reprint articles by Bill Platt, please visit:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/d/index.shtml#Bill_Platt

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=2881&p=load

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/hard-look-at-click-fraud.shtml#get_code

      A Hard Look at PPC, Click Fraud and the Alternatives
      Copyright (c) 2006-2007 Bill Platt
      the Phantom Writers
      http://thePhantomWriters.com

      With the creation of the Overture and Google Adwords systems,
      many webmasters believed they had finally hit the mother lode. It
      was no longer necessary for small online businesses to invest
      large amounts of money into Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
      services to gain high search rankings in the natural search
      results.

      Even webmasters committed to SEO campaigns began to realize its
      fleeting nature. Given frequent search engine algorithm changes,
      optimizing a website was no guarantee that in 6 months or less it
      wouldn't be back to square one and page twenty of the search
      results.

      PAY-PER-CLICK SEARCH ENGINE (PPCSE) PLACEMENT

      With the advent of the PPCSE model created by Overture, and
      followed by Google Adwords, webmasters felt like they had finally
      found the level playing field that everyone talks about. Hiring a
      SEO company was no longer necessary to crack the top search
      engine results. A Page One placement could be purchased and often
      for far less than the cost of a SEO company's services.

      Webmasters discovered that they could get traffic to their
      website for as little as one cent per click.

      Pay-per-click, however, has evolved over the last 5 years and not
      to the benefit of most webmasters. Although five cents is
      currently the average starting bid price at most major search
      engines, many sought after keyword terms can cost as much as $30
      - $50 per click. Given the increasingly competitive nature of PPC
      advertising and spiralling costs, many small- to medium- sized
      businesses today might be better served hiring a good SEO company
      to search optimize their websites.

      WHO IS CLICKING YOUR PAY-PER-CLICK LINKS?

      There are four types of people who click on pay-per-click ads.
      Knowing who these people are helps explain why experts keep
      telling us that 20% to 25% of all clicks on PPC listings are
      "fraudulent clicks".

      Personality Type #1: True-Blue Prospects

      These are the people for whom you have placed your pay-per-click
      ads. They see your advertisement; they like what they see; and
      they click your link to see if you can actually serve their
      needs.

      Personality Type #2: Accidental Clickers

      Every once in a while, even my finger misfires, and I click an
      advertisement that I did not intend on clicking. My first thought
      is usually, "Oh no...", and my first action is to find the back
      button.

      I didn't mean to cost that person money by clicking his
      advertisement... but I did. It was an accident. Now, the
      advertiser has to pay for my mistake. That bites.

      Personality Type #3: Jealous Competitors

      I would like to think that all of my, and your, competitors are
      fine, upstanding people. And most of them are. But, there are
      some who are not, and they click on pay-per-click links just to
      be spiteful or just to cost their business rivals a few dollars.

      Believe it or not, a good percentage of "fraudulent clicks" are
      believed to be clicks perpetrated by people against their
      competitors.

      Personality Type #4: True-Blue Fraudsters

      Not that long ago pay-per-click providers realized that there was
      tremendous opportunity in offering small website owners a method
      for cashing in on their limited traffic.

      Today, a webmaster can go to any number of pay-per-click
      services, add a small piece of code to a webpage and start
      serving paid advertising the same day. Webmasters thus become
      revenue share partners with the PPC provider, splitting revenues
      with the PPC provider for each click.

      Ethical webmasters, of course, put the needs of their advertisers
      first and focus on putting eyeballs on their website so that
      visitors can click on the advertising links.

      But, the word "ethical" doesn't exist in the vocabulary of
      some webmasters. These are the "true-blue fraudsters" who
      believe in making "revenue at any cost... no matter who might be
      hurt by their actions." They devise schemes to have their own
      ads clicked in order to drive up their revenue share.

      These webmasters, although a minority, are responsible for the
      vast majority of fraudulent clicks. And, they are the same people
      that should be taken out behind the barn, for a good
      old-fashioned flogging --- one lashing for each stolen dollar
      would be fine with me.

      THE UNSEEN COSTS OF THE PAY-PER-CLICK SEARCH GAME

      If the experts are correct in estimating that 25% of all clicks
      are fraudulent, then you are paying out 33% more than you should
      have to pay to get your business.

      If you are converting PPCSE clicks-to-sales at a rate of $20 per
      transaction, then you should be aware that your actual conversion
      rate for non-PPCSE advertising would cost you an average of $15
      per transaction. By escaping the pay-per-click search engine
      model, you could in effect make an additional $5 per transaction
      by cutting the fraud out of your marketing budget.

      Personally, I would rather not pay the pay-per-click mafia the $5
      a transaction that they are exacting against pay-per-click
      advertisers.

      WHERE MY ADVERTISING MONEY WORKS BEST

      I have always gained the best bang for my buck with
      pay-for-placement advertising. In a nutshell, I pay a monthly,
      quarterly or yearly fee to have my advertising seen on various
      websites. Banner advertising is always an option, but text links
      provide better click-through rates (CTR's).

      At any one time, you can find links to my websites on dozens of
      other websites.

      Here are a few examples of pay-for-placement, often referred to
      as "paid inclusion", advertising networks:

      ISEDN.org Network:
      ( http://www.ISEDN.org )

      The Independent Search Engine and Directory Network (powered by
      ExactSeek.com) is comprised of more than 200 specialty search
      engines, search directories and article directories. Through
      their system, you can buy quarterly or yearly top ten exposure
      (http://www.exactseek.com/featured_listings.html) for specific
      keyword phrases which are then shown through the ISEDN's 200
      plus member websites. Their network claims to show paid inclusion
      ads 150 million times per month.

      Pricing starts at $4 per month per keyword phrase and goes down
      according to the number of keyword phrases purchased. Quarterly
      and yearly rates for one keyword phrase are $12 and $36,
      respectively.

      BraveNet.com Home Page Featured Advertiser Listing:
      http://www.adbrite.com/mb/commerce/purchase_form.php?zone_id=8181
      4

      BraveNet is the number one provider of free web tools in the
      world and through their AdBrite sales page you can purchase a 30
      day text advertisement at the bottom of the Bravenet home page
      for $1500 or a 3 month advertisement for $3500. According to the
      Bravenet Media Kit (
      http://www.bravenetmedianetwork.com/mediakit.php ), their network
      serves 500 million page views per month.

      ColdFront Network:
      ( http://www.coldfront.net/index.php/content/view/100/50/ )

      ColdFront serves the Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing
      Games (MMORPG) communities. With 150,000 unique visits and 12
      million page views per month, they provide real advertising
      value, if your target market happens to be in this area. Paid
      inclusion can be purchased for $250 to $350 per month.

      WHO LEFT THE BARN DOOR OPEN?

      We put locks and deadbolts on our doors. In some localities, we
      put bars on our windows. We keep our valuables in safes. We keep
      our cars locked when we are not in them. We are a nation obsessed
      with protecting our valuables.

      And yet, when we advertise our online businesses, we seem to be
      willing to let PPCSE providers steal 25% of our advertising
      budget? It boggles the mind.

      Personally, I am done with PPCSE companies until they can assure
      me that my advertising dollars are protected from click fraud.

      I have always relied on my own search engine optimization skills
      to strengthen my natural search results. And frankly, I am pretty
      good at it.

      And, to supplement my own SEO efforts and organic search result
      placement sucesses, or lack thereof, paid inclusion currently
      offers me the best value for my money.

      Bill Platt is the owner of http://thePhantomWriters.com
      Article Distribution Service. Through his system, you
      can have your Free Reprint Articles sent to thousands of
      publishers and webmasters looking for good quality content.
      If you need someone to write articles for you, Bill's writers
      can create interesting articles on most any topic. If you
      would like to talk to Bill personally about his services,
      you can reach him from 9:30am to 6pm CST at: (405) 780-7327.

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/hard-look-at-click-fraud.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Bill Platt can be reached at:
      comments@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:comments@...

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Bill Platt

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19 9:00 AM
        A Free-Reprint Article Written by: Bill Platt

        Article Title:
        A Hard Look at PPC, Click Fraud and the Alternatives

        Article Description:
        Just a few years ago, pay-per-click search engine advertising
        seemed like it was the answer to the prayers of webmasters vying
        for search traffic. Given the increasingly competitive nature of
        PPC advertising and spiraling costs, many small- to medium-
        sized businesses have begun to question that wisdom. With click
        fraud running at 25% and click costs for certain keywords hitting
        $50 a click, advertisers are looking for other solutions.

        Additional Article Information:
        ===============================

        Distribution Date and Time: 2011-08-19 11:00:00

        Written By: Bill Platt
        Copyright: 2006-2011

        http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/bill-platt.html

        Versions Of Article Are Available at:
        http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/hard-look-at-click-fraud.shtml#get_code

        A Hard Look at PPC, Click Fraud and the Alternatives
        Copyright (c) 2006-2011 Bill Platt
        the Phantom Writers
[...]

        advertising and spiraling costs, many small- to medium- sized
[...]

        AdBrite Advertising provides access to a large network of
        independent publishers who are willing to let you advertise
        on their websites: http://www.adbrite.com/

        BraveNet Media Network is the number one provider of free web tools
        in the world ( http://www.bravenetmedianetwork.com/ ), their network
        serves over 500 million page views per month.

        WHO LEFT THE BARN DOOR OPEN?

        We put locks and deadbolts on our doors. In some localities, we
        put bars on our windows. We keep our valuables in safes. We keep
        our cars locked when we are not in them. We are a nation obsessed
        with protecting our valuables.

        And yet, when we advertise our online businesses, we seem to be
        willing to let PPCSE providers steal 25% of our advertising
        budget? It boggles the mind.

        Personally, I am done with PPCSE companies until they can assure
        me that my advertising dollars are protected from click fraud.

        I have always relied on my own search engine optimization skills
        to strengthen my natural search results. And frankly, I am pretty
        good at it.

        And, to supplement my own SEO efforts and organic search result
        placement successes, or lack thereof, paid inclusion currently
        offers me the best value for my money.

        If you want to learn how to make article marketing effective
        and profitable for the promotion of your online business, you
        will be able to locate several article marketing training guides
        at http://WritingPuzzle.com/ If you are looking for an article
        syndication service company to help you promote your online
        articles, explore http://thephantomwriters.com/ which has been
        providing article marketing services since 2001. Bill Platt is
        the owner of both of these web properties.

        --- END ARTICLE ---

        http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/p/hard-look-at-click-fraud.shtml#get_code

        TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
        (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

        The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

        *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

        Hyperlinks (clickable links).

        within the article.

        *** Author Notification ***

        or her work. Bill Platt can be reached at:
        comments@...

        for Print Permission at:
        mailto:comments@...

        Article Marketing Ebook at: