The Ping Pong Psych-Out

  • bartygc
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      Bart Gibby offers the following royalty-free article for you to
      publish online or in print. Feel free to use this article in your
      newsletter, website, ezine, blog, or forum.

      -----------

      PUBLICATION GUIDELINES

      - You have permission to publish this article for free providing the
      "About the Author" box is included in its entirety.
      - Do not post/reprint this article in any site or publication that
      contains hate, violence, porn, warez, or supports illegal activity.
      - Do not use this article in violation of the US CAN-SPAM Act. If sent
      by email, this article must be delivered to opt-in subscribers only.
      - If you publish this article in a format that supports linking,
      please ensure that all URLs and email addresses are active links.
      - Please send a copy of the publication, or an email indicating the
      URL to bart at yardgamecentral.com.
      - Bart Gibby has distributed this article on behalf of the author and
      Yard Game Central, http://www.yardgamecentral.com Bart Gibby does not
      own this article; please respect the author's copyright and
      publication guidelines. If you do not agree to these terms, please do
      not use this article.

      -----------

      Article Title: The Ping Pong Psych-Out
      Author: Andy Meredith
      Category: Recreation > Sports > Games
      Word Count: 604
      Author's Email Address: bart at yardgamecentral.com
      Article Source: http://www.yardgamecentral.com

      ------------------ ARTICLE START ------------------
      The Ping Pong Psych-Out

      I am a total nerd for table tennis, or ping pong as I like to call it.
      I'm the guy who holds the paddle in that weird grip with my fingers
      spread out over the back side of the thing and my thumb and pointer
      finger making a circle. Don't act like you haven't tried it. It's
      easy, just make the "OK" signal with your hand and stick the handle of
      the paddle in the circle of your finger and thumb from the palm side
      and hold on tight. This grip helps a lot with putting spin, or
      English, on the ball. It also makes you look like you know what you
      are doing even if you don't. I guess you win either way. This way,
      when you are getting set to play someone for the first time you can
      confidently stride up to the table and grasp the paddle in this cool
      manner, all the while looking down your nose and thinking to yourself,
      "look at them pawing their ping pong paddle like a five-year old, and
      me here with my awesome skills". You have already won the mental
      battle, and that is vital for a hard-core ponger. Of course, they
      could be thinking "look at this dork trying to impress me with some
      cheesy paddle-grip, and what is he looking at on his nose". But as
      long as they don't say anything out loud, you're good to go.

      Trust me on this I know because it has happened to me. Recently I was
      hanging out at a party, just chillin', listening to music, talking to
      someone, having some chips, and then I noticed the ping pong table in
      the corner. "Who wants a piece?" I asked, almost involuntarily. Almost
      instantaneously some other guy, feeling that his manhood had been
      challenged, said "let's do this". I could feel everyone else rolling
      their eyes and thinking "there goes the party", but it could have been
      worse. I could have been the guy at the party who grabs a guitar and
      sits on one side of the room all night playing the same four songs
      that everyone knows as he longingly gazes into your girlfriend's eyes
      while singing "I could be your hero baby". You all know at least one
      of those guys. I mean, I play the guitar fairly well, but c'mon bro,
      we all know what you are trying to do. But I digress, let's get back
      to pong. So this dude saunters over to the table tennis table to meet
      me and we lock eyes in a pre-serve stare-down. Without moving his eyes
      the guy picks up the paddle in this cool grip with his fingers spread
      out on the back of the thing. "Crap", I thought and handed the paddle
      off to some other male who wants to prove his rank in the herd.

      To be perfectly honest, I don't really know the proper way to keep
      score. Typically I just take turns serving, with each player getting
      five serves per turn. First one to fifteen wins, with the game point
      having to come on the serve of my opponent. This may or may not be the
      proper way to keep score, I make no promises. In fact, if you are
      planning on entering a tourney or challenging someone at a party,
      please look into the real rules so that you don't get embarrassed.
      Even if you don't play by the rules it is a fun game. Table tennis is
      definitely worth checking out. And if you turn out to be a sub-par
      player, there's always guitar.

      Andy Meredith is a passionate yard game writer for Yard Game Central,
      http://www.yardgamecentral.com His expertise is Table Tennis.
      Information about ping pong tables and more can be found at
      http://www.TablePong.com