Tired of Britney & top 40? Support New Zealand Maori Tama...

  • Evan Ginzburg
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2004
      Zine editors/writers:

      A new, small independent music label (ObliqSound- www.obliqsound.com) with a unique artist from New Zealand needs your support!
      Tama Waipara mixes tribal beats, Shakespeare, classic poetry, electronica, jazz, R&B, worldbeat, his own tribal language, etc. into a mix that doesn't exactly scream Top 40! But what we can tell you is that "Nobody sounds like Tama."

      So how can you help?

      * Review the CD- we will send editors/writers a CD for you to review.
      * Come to a gig- see below.
      * Check out the music for yourself on the website.
      * Interview Tama
      * Or we can forward an extensive (non-shilling!) ready for publication interview for your zine (the interview is also about Maori culture- not just music).

      We appreciate your support. Check him out for yourself and help break a major talent who deserves greater exposure.
      EVAN GINZBURG (A fellow zine editor- Hey Cabby/Wrestling- Then & Now)

      For Immediate Release

      Tama Waipara to perform at Makor � Tuesday, March 23rd, 8PM

      New York, NY � ObliqSound recording artist Tama Waipara will perform with his full live band at Makor�s Local Artist Showcase � Tuesday, March 23rd, 8PM.

      Nobody Sounds Like Tama:

      With Tama Waipara's upcoming release Triumph of Time on ObliqSound (May 4, 2004), the New Zealand born singer/guitarist/composer unleashes his unique musical vision.

      Tama has a growing New York fan base and has garnered critical praise for his live shows in such distinguished venues as Joe's Pub (at the legendary Public Theater) and world music venue Satalla. The evening marks his second appearance at Makor.

      He has made repeated appearances on The Light Show (WBAI-FM) and in December 2003 was invited to perform live on a WBAI benefit that featured such musical mavericks as Roy Ayers and Groove Collective.

      Triumph of Time is generating excitement both within the industry and in record buyers who pride themselves on their adventurous musical tastes. Tama will be performing selections from the album and new original material.

      One of the most uniquely "different" releases to ever grace our pages � Blues & Soul

      Voted BEST MAORI ALBUM 2003 NZ Star Times

      Samba Afro Deepness! � Mr. Scruff

      Triumph of Time is available exclusively at: Paramount Hotel, Halcyon and Spring Gallery (DUMBO)

      Available at music retail May 4, 2004

      The New York and Munich based ObliqSound is a young record label with a timely and positive goal: to provide a home for artists around the globe interested in creating music that crosses the boundaries of traditional music labeling.

      Tama Waipara @ Makor�s Local Artist Showcase

      Tuesday, March 23rd, 8pm � 9pm

      MAKOR / Steinhardt Building,

      35 West 67th Street

      New York, NY 10023

      Door Price $12

      FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT: Tobias Tanner � tobias@...

      Also don't miss Tama Waipara Monday March 29, 2004 at 7PM in a free solo acoustic performance at the East Elmhurst Library in Queens (95-06 Astoria Blvd.). Info:

      Do you Yahoo!?