Support the Small Press/ Independant network!

  • aipman1
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2003
      Focus is an important part of the growth of any community, and for
      years, the Small Press/ Independent network has lacked Focus. As
      newsletters rose and fell during the 90's so did new pockets of the
      network evolve and move off on their own. Computers have brought
      even more avenues for creative people to express themselves, and
      more ways for people to find support networks for creators. There
      are lots of them out there now, and it's great to have options for
      creators to find themselves.

      But here's what's been missing: Focus. As each person tries to
      expand their readership, there are very few places a person can go
      to find the Big Picture. A place where everyone can look to find the
      new, and be seen.

      Well I'm not going to say that the work we're doing with the Small
      Press Association and in the Obscurity Unlimited magazine has
      reached that level yet. But what I would like to say is that we are
      trying. And we know there are lots of people who like and enjoy the
      efforts, and we know there are people who have their reservations
      about it.

      Obscurity Unlimited #22 is now out and heading out to subscribers.
      Here's a preview of it's awesome cover by Robert Sumner:
      http://www.dimestoreproductions.com/images/DSP-OU22.jpg

      Why does that matter? Well, it's the only monthly small press review
      print magazine there is. And it needs your support. Whether you
      agree with everything the SPA stands for and does, you should be
      reading this magazine because it offers the widest view of small
      press every month available to the public. And with your support and
      help, it could become the focus the small press/ independent arena
      has lacked. So, in the interest of jump-starting people's reading of
      OU, we're going to make an offer...and here it is...

      Go to this page:
      www.dimestoreproductions.com/Catalogs/Dimestore/ObscurityMag.asp
      and order a sample copy. Anyone who orders a sample copy from now
      through the end of April will get TWO issues, for the price of one.
      Also, anyone who orders a Six Month subscription will also get a
      free 6-block full color advertisement to use any way they please.
      We're hoping that this offer will bring more people into giving OU a
      good looking over, and that in that end, the small press/
      independent arena will grow closer and we can do more about getting
      more readers for all of our publications.

      We are all just individuals, making our way in a medium that we
      love. We can break the mold, and use cards that weren't dealt to us,
      to make a better network for us all. So this post might seem like an
      advertisement...but in reality it is much more. It's a ray of hope
      that I hope people can feel the warmth in.

      Ian Shires