Yes, MORE! (good info read em' all!)

  • gothgrrl66
    Message 1 of 377 , Jan 9, 2000
      How to print it...<br>Most zines will start off
      as photocopied zines. This is because you can't
      really do a small run on a real press. Unless you are
      doing at least 1,000 copies, it's probably cheaper to
      find a place that will run it on a high speed copier.
      DON'T go to Kinko's unless you have absolutely no other
      option. Kinko's is certainly convenient, but it's also
      not cheap. There is probably not a more expensive way
      to do a copied zine than at Kinko's. Just open up
      your yellow pages, and call around for prices. Kinko's
      $.08 per sheet rate adds up real, real fast.
      issue, and print it on newsprint, or something similar,
      you will have to do at least 1,000 copies to make it
      economical. If you are going to print a lot, web, or plate
      printing as it's called is going to be quite a bit cheaper
      per copy than photocopying. I am currently paying
      about 20% of what I was per copy now, than when I was
      doing the high speed photocopying. But, I also print
      3,000 copies. And keep in mind that more copies cost
      less per copy, but if you can't get all of those
      copies out, they're of no use to you at all.
      together, and gotten it all printed up. You have a big pile
      of your creation under your bed or filling up your
      closet. So how do you get all of these things out to
      interested people? If you printed, say, 100 copies of your
      first issue (like I did) it won't be terribly
      difficult. Just passing them out to friends, and people you
      know will probably take care of a good chunk of it.
      Then, you can always take them to stores, shows, and
      send them off to people (either single copies, or
      larger quantities for those people to pass out). The
      more you can get out without mailing any, the better.
      Bulk numbers of zines, even 15 or 20 copies gets
      pretty heavy very quickly. <br><br>If you printed a
      larger quantity of that first issue, you have some
      planning to do. You can contact other zines, and offer to
      trade distribution with them. You can also contact
      record labels, and mailorders, and ask them to send the
      copies out with their orders. This is all assuming you
      chose to give away your zine (at least the first issue
      anyway). If you chose to sell it, you have a whole other
      set of problems on your hands. You'll need to find
      distributors for your zine that are willing you pay you for
      the copies, then sell them themselves. I won't talk
      much about selling zines, and concentrate more on
      doing a free zine since I've never done it myself, and
      I don't know a whole lot about it. Once you've
      found distributors (for a free, or charging zine) do
      your best to hang on to those distributors as you find
      new ones. Chances are that your circulation will be
      increasing as time goes on, and you need that consistent
      distro.
      Message 377 of 377 , Aug 9, 2002