Finding Your Voice

  • Olga Moe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2006
      Olga Moe offers the following royalty-free article for you to publish online or in print.
      Feel free to use this article in your newsletter, website, ezine, blog, or forum.
      -----------
      PUBLICATION GUIDELINES
      - You have permission to publish this article for free providing the "About the Author" box is included in its entirety.
      - Do not post/reprint this article in any site or publication that contains hate, violence, porn, warez, or supports illegal activity.
      - Do not use this article in violation of the US CAN-SPAM Act. If sent by email, this article must be delivered to opt-in subscribers only.
      - If you publish this article in a format that supports linking, please ensure that all URLs and email addresses are active links.
      - Please send a copy of the publication, or an email indicating the URL to smoe1@...
      - Article Marketer (www.ArticleMarketer.com) has distributed this article on behalf of the author. Article Marketer does not own this article, please respect the author's copyright and publication guidelines. If you do not agree to these terms, please do not use this article.
      -----------
      Article Title: Finding Your Voice
      Author: Olga Moe
      Category: Article Writing, Business
      Word Count: 434
      Author's Email Address: smoe1@...
      Article Source: http://www.articlemarketer.com

      If you are having problems thinking up a subject to write about or wondering how to express it, just think of the last time you had a lively conversation with a friend. You were comfortable, you were natural, you were inspired and you were satisfied with the experience. Now, conjure up this friend in your mind and think of something that has been on your mind, and imagine yourself directing it toward that friend. This is the model you can always refer to when you are in a block.

      The reason it is so easy to talk to friends is because we feel accepted ahead of time, so we can focus more energy on the subject itself instead of the presentation. You can always go back over the words you write down while using this technique, and correct the grammar later. The important thing is that you were unfettered sufficiently to put out an entire concept and come to a conclusion. It is a process which requires a continuity of energy. We learn what we have to say as we say it.

      If you enjoy making conversation with people, you probably already are in the habit of sounding off to imaginary listeners. It is the way we choose what words to use which will help us understand even our very own thinking. It defines what we want to say. Once we have a clear path for what is to be expressed, the momentum alone will carry through to the finished thought process, and then all that remains is to go over the mechanical aspects of the writing.

      What recurring observation has been present for most of your life? What is your reaction to the things you hear on the news, or read about in magazines. Where has your analytical mind taken you regarding a number of topics? What makes you mad? What makes you laugh? What are you interested in researching? The time has never been better, because of the internet, to instantly access and learn about anything we choose.

      When we write fiction, there are rules about showing the reader instead of telling, and so it is necessary to create a metaphor to communicate any idea. With non fiction, we can just get right in there and tell it like it is. It is a liberation for us, and a reinforcement to ourselves of who we are. Think of a friend, think of something that is or was on your mind, take up the keyboard and talk to that person. You will surprise yourself. Hey, at least no one is going to disagree with you.

      Olga Moe lives on an island in the Puget Sound. She is known mostly for her fiction contributions to literary e-zines and has just recently begun writing non-fiction pieces.
      http://zelda2530.tripod.com