Coaching; The Language Of Recognition

  • Chris Herrmann
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006

      Message delivered directly to members of the group:
      zinepublishers@yahoogroups.com

      Chris Herrmann

      ==================

      contains the article to chrish[at]infotec.com.au (replace [at]
      with @)

      MUST be set to hyperlinks and we ask that you send a copy of
      the URL where the article is posted to chrish[at]infotec.com.au
      (replace [at] with @)

      The role of iSnare.com is only to distribute this article as
      part of its Article Distribution feature (
      http://www.isnare.com/distribution.php ). iSnare.com does NOT
      own this article, please respect the author's copyright and
      this publication/reprint terms. If you do not agree to any of
      these terms, please do not reprint or publish this article.
      ==================

      Article Title: Coaching; The Language Of Recognition
      Author: Chris Herrmann
      Word Count: 514
      Article URL: http://www.isnare.com/?aid=55774&ca=Business
      Format: 64cpl
      Author's Email Address: chrish[at]infotec.com.au (replace [at]
      with @)

      Easy Publish Tool: http://www.isnare.com/html.php?aid=55774

      As she rushed through the office, Kacy Dillon, the divisional
      Director stopped briefly by Ian Brechin's desk, gave him the
      "thumbs-up" sign and said "Great job, Brechin, you did well!"
      She then sped off in the direction of her next meeting leaving
      Ian a little bemused. He was struggling with this new computer
      system and had just crashed it for the third time this morning.
      Was she being sarcastic or was she referring to the major deal
      he had just closed with what was to be the company's largest
      client. Hopefully the latter!

      From time to time you can see examples where managers act as
      spectators. Their behavior; the words they use and their body
      language would not be out of place at a soccer or baseball
      match. They would be sitting in the stands chewing on a hot
      dog, swigging a beer and shouting criticism at the players
      (their staff) on the field. There is very little connection
      between the manager and the staff other than they happen to be
      sitting in the same building.

      This image is used to highlight the profound difference between
      the 'manager as coach' and the 'manager as spectator'. A coach
      works individually with each of the players, helping them to
      overcome setbacks and obstacles to progress. They understand
      how their players respond to different types of motivation and
      how their family life and health affect their performance.

      Most of all coaching is carried out on a very frequent basis.
      You don't wait for the big match to give your advice to the
      team in the way that the 'manager as spectator' does. You work
      really closely with everyone in the team to understand the
      strengths and weaknesses of your defense and your strikers
      before they have to be tested under pressure.

      The Language of Coaching

      Spectator language is full of demands; "Do this, do that, do
      the next thing." There is no time or space for discussion,
      experimentation and, god forbid, failure. Spectator managers
      need results and they need them now.

      The language of a coach is significantly different. First of
      all the coach is an integral part of the team; more often found
      on the field than in their fur-lined office. Team language tends
      to contain the word "We" and you will hear a softer tone to the
      questions "How can we improve this? How can we make that happen
      faster, more accurately or more consistently?" It is a
      relationship of trust between two adults rather than a critical
      parent talking down to a child.

      Ian Brechin's co-worker, Joanna Collins came to his assistance
      with the new computer system. "I've found some work-arounds
      that avoid crashing the system, let me show you." Then, almost
      as an afterthought she added "I hope you realize how proud we
      all are that you closed the Grossman deal, you'll need to share
      some of your trade secrets with the rest of us." Ian smiled,
      wondering why Joanna's piece of recognition seemed more
      valuable than Kacy Dillon's.

      About The Author: Published by http://www.BoomerangAwards.com
      Empowering business using technology and an ancient primeval
      technique to create a new employee recognition and reward
      program. Obtain your FREE report "20 Tips To Running Successful
      Recognition And Reward Systems" at
      http://www.BoomerangAwards.com

      Please use the HTML version of this article at:
      http://www.isnare.com/html.php?aid=55774

      For more free-reprint articles by Chris Herrmann please visit:
      http://www.isnare.com/?s=author&a=Chris+Herrmann