Craigslist: Big-Hearted Site Makes Life Easier For All Of Us

  • Julie Peterson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2007

      Message delivered directly to members of the group:

      Julie Peterson

      contains the article to http://www.isnare.com/eta.php?aid=196846

      MUST be set to hyperlinks and we ask that you send a copy of the
      URL where the article is posted to

      The role of iSnare.com is only to distribute this article as
      part of its Article Distribution feature (
      http://www.isnare.com/distribution.php ). iSnare.com does NOT
      own this article, please respect the author's copyright and this
      publication/reprint terms. If you do not agree to any of these
      terms, please do not reprint or publish this article.

      Article Title: Craigslist: Big-Hearted Site Makes Life Easier
      For All Of Us
      Author: Julie Peterson
      Word Count: 548
      Article URL: http://www.isnare.com/?aid=196846&ca=Internet
      Format: 64cpl
      Contact The Author: http://www.isnare.com/eta.php?aid=196846

      Easy Publish Tool: http://www.isnare.com/html.php?aid=196846

      The Personal Side of Craigslist

      I have a tee shirt from Craigslist. The money I bought it with
      goes to support community service efforts. I wear it often since
      I love craigslist so much. It took me a while to realize that
      when I wear it people who must mostly have their mind in the
      gutter, assume I am a regular poster on the casual encounters
      section. Actually, I had never even read that section until
      recently, but even there Craigslist outshines regular newspaper
      classifieds, in my opinion. I have used Craigslist to find
      employees, get renters, make friends, free cycle things, sell
      good stuff, find great stuff, find yard and estate sales, get
      clients, find dates for my elderly mother, do salary research,
      do rental research, get questions answered, find contractors to
      fix my house, and get entertained. I can't remember how I ever
      lived without it.

      Is there a "Craig" behind Craigslist? There sure is! Craigslist
      was started by programmer Craig Newmark as a fun project for his
      friends in San Francisco. Craigslist is now one-fourth owned by
      Ebay, although so far the corporation has done nothing with the
      ownership and now even seems to be creating a competing site.

      Craigslist, like Wikipedia, is policed by volunteers. I
      personally police the section of my local craigslist that is
      related to my husband's business. You can report violations of
      the Terms of Service by emailing the violation to
      abuse@... and they will promptly take action.

      Outstanding Aspects of Craigslist

      An extremely popular site, Craigslist is in fact in the Top 10
      list of internet sites. For those who aren't familiar with it,
      Craigslist is a free classifieds service available online and
      sorted by location. It exemplifies the degree of popular that
      can be achieved for a website through word-of-mouth marketing
      alone. Furthermore, Craigslist demonstrates a business
      enterprise that refuses to have money-making as its main goal.
      No advertisements appear on the site, a tribute to its
      service-oriented nature. rather, Craigslist is more intent on
      doing what seems best for society rather than maximizing a
      monetary return. In addition, Craigslist is a leader in the open
      source movement, although their product isn't open source

      Other Craigslist Characteristics

      Many users enjoy Craigslist because it seems to march to a beat
      all its own. A wonderful resource for many needs, perhaps its
      greatest endorsement is that Craigslist is spreading not only
      all over the country, but even to other parts of the world as
      well. In fact, many turn to Craigslist before ever opening their
      local newspapers.

      Threats to Craigslist

      As already discussed, Craigslist is not threatened by newspaper
      competition since many people go to Craigslist first, or even
      exclusively. The site's reputation as a friendly community is
      only threatened by users who take advantage of it to post
      inappropriate or mis-categorized content. Spammers and scammers
      could potentially infiltrate Craigslist and turn it into a
      website full of get-rich-quick schemes. As mentioned earlier,
      Craigslist is policed by volunteers; let's hope they're able to
      continue doing the good job they've been doing so we can all
      continue to benefit from this wonderful resource.

      About The Author: Visit
      http://www.buy-on-craigslist.com/craigslists.htm to find a
      complete listing of craigslist sites in the USA and articles on

      Please use the HTML version of this article at:

      For more free-reprint articles by Julie Peterson please visit: