Come Back Forward Zine Submissions

  • Keidra Chaney
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2004
      I'm not the publisher, just spreading the word ...

      Come Back Forward is a brand new black arts and
      activism zine currently seeking submissions for our
      upcoming premiere issue. Come Back Forward is made by,
      for, and about young black people involved in social
      change, movement building, and the independent
      underground. This is a zine about the intersections of
      race, revolution, and resistance. Our mission is to
      provide a forum for progressive black folks making a
      difference and making a mark in the world around them.
      Come Back Forward is committed to furthering the
      dialogue between those of us born post-Civil Rights.
      We want to tell the stories of the hip-hop generation,
      of the black middle class, and of those of us who
      remain on the margins and in between. This is a zine
      about negotiating identity and broadening the spectrum
      through which the black experience is viewed. This is
      about redefining and reaffirming blackness, building
      community and solidarity, and making room for all of
      our voices. Come Back Forward is a volunteer-run
      grassroots publication. We are looking for people to
      help us make this zine as dope, creative, radical, and
      eclectic as the community we're highlighting. We are
      currently seeking writers who can provide:

      Artist Profile: 150-300 word pieces showcasing
      innovative bands, musicians, dj's, mc's, visual
      artists, performance artists, playwrights, poets, and
      other black artists breaking the mold and and
      revolutionizing the black aesthetic.

      Organizer Profiles: Interviews with young black
      activists, organizers, and community leaders working
      on a wide range of social justice issues. We want to
      highlight the amazing work that politically aware and
      socially conscious young people are involved in across
      the ountry.

      Features/Essays: We are looking for articles that
      meld the personal with the political, exploring race,
      class, gender, sexuality, and privilege. We are
      looking for incisive yet accessible cultural criticism
      and narratives that bring into focus the realities,
      challenges, and contradictions of young
      African-Americans today. We are also interested in
      articles that provide a thoughtful yet irreverent
      response to pop culture.

      Reviews: Brief 100-200 words reviews of new books,
      films, music, and zines. Send story ideas, questions,
      and comments to comebackzine@...