New Zealander mixes Shakespeare/Swinburne/electronica and more in unique CD

  • Evan Ginzburg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2004
      PRESS RELEASE

      A.C. SWINBURNE & WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE FEATURED ON CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED NEW CD �TRIUMPH OF TIME� BY NEW ZEALAND'S TAMA WAIPARA

      Contacts:

      Bookings/Interviews: evan_ginzburg@...

      CD purchases: ObliqSound info@...

      www.obliqsound.com

      "An extraordinary voice" -- Germany's Der MusikMarkt.

      �A remarkable debut� -- BPM

      �One of the most uniquely �different� releases to ever grace our pages.� � Blues & Soul

      �Emotion-drenched� � Time Out New York

      Nobody sounds like Tama.

      And with Tama Waipara's Triumph of Time on ObliqSound, the New Zealand born singer/guitarist/composer unleashes his unique musical vision.

      "Music is an amazingly influential and vibrant element in my cultural background," states Tama. "The Maori are a naturalistic and genealogically-based indigenous culture steeped in the traditions of our ancestors, or 'iwi.' Our culture is based on an ancestral oral tradition rich in chanted song and percussive, rhythmic music."

      Tama's Triumph of Time is where thoughts become poetry, poetry becomes verse and verse becomes song.

      And with poetry such a vital part of the project, Shakespeare and Swinburne came into play. �Though working with the text of Shakespeare was a daunting task in one way, on the other hand it was very exciting to apply it in a new way. The appeal of Swinburne was the timelessness of the lyrics. Plus I particularly appreciated his tying of issues like unrequited love to nature. You know, coming from somewhere like New Zealand and being Maori, that love/nature connection is a significant part of my upbringing.�

      The CD is a diverse musical blueprint without borders. A fluid and eclectic foray into R&B, jazz, classical, Latin rhythms and an amalgam of exotic indigenous music from around the globe, the entire album reverberates with a candor, intensity and stirring spirituality.

      Tama has a growing European fan base following a successful UK tour that took him to such noted venues as Fabric. In the US he has garnered critical praise from his live shows at the prestigious Summer Stage festival in New York�s Central Park and Joe's Pub (at the legendary Public Theater). He has made repeated appearances on 50,000 Watt/200,000 listener Light Show on WBAI-FM in New York and in December 2003 was invited to perform live on a WBAI on air benefit that featured such musical giants as Roy Ayres and Groove Collective. His release is generating excitement both within the industry and in record buyers who pride themselves on their adventurous musical tastes. He also has a weekly spot on a prime time arts program on TV in New Zealand and can be heard each and every Thursday 10AM on WBAI-FM's (99.5 NYC) First Voices, the Indigenous peoples' show.

      Triumph of Time, released on May 5 2004, will take you on an aural and lyrical journey.

      Tama Waipara is available for interviews, live performances, and educational and musical lectures and seminars.

      New York: ObliqSound, Inc. 535 West 34th Street, New York, New York 10001

      T (646) 792-2456 F (646) 792-2457

      Munich: ObliqSound GmbH Haldenbergerstr. 28 D-80997 Munich, Germany

      T +49 89 1401 0036 F 49 89 1401 0163

      ObliqSound and the ObliqSound logo are trademarks of ObliqSound GmbH registered worldwide