11092The Chess Challenge

  • Jonathon Hardcastle
    Sep 1, 2006

      Message delivered directly to members of the group:

      Jonathon Hardcastle

      contains the article to se-secrets[at]sbcglobal.net (replace
      [at] with @)

      MUST be set to hyperlinks and we ask that you send a copy of
      the URL where the article is posted to
      se-secrets[at]sbcglobal.net (replace [at] with @)

      The role of iSnare.com is only to distribute this article as
      part of its Article Distribution feature (
      http://www.isnare.com/distribution.php ). iSnare.com does NOT
      own this article, please respect the author's copyright and
      this publication/reprint terms. If you do not agree to any of
      these terms, please do not reprint or publish this article.

      Article Title: The Chess Challenge
      Author: Jonathon Hardcastle
      Word Count: 597
      Article URL: http://www.isnare.com/?aid=80005&ca=Sports
      Format: 64cpl
      Author's Email Address: se-secrets[at]sbcglobal.net (replace
      [at] with @)

      Easy Publish Tool: http://www.isnare.com/html.php?aid=80005

      On the day that I was old enough to understand the importance
      of strategic maneuvering when playing a game, my father decided
      that it was time for me to learn chess. Within a couple of
      months, I was carrying the chess board everywhere I was going,
      inviting friends to challenge my new game abilities. I still
      remember the reactions of those who have never been introduced
      to chess. They used to look me straight into the eyes asking me
      why they should waste their time playing such a difficult and
      boring game. I do not know even where to begin in order to
      describe what a beautiful game chess really is. With its
      variety of sacrifices and combinations, those who are eager to
      learn how it feels to belong to the winner's side can advance
      their gaming experience through chess. Having the opportunity
      to outwit your opponent either on the tactical or on the
      positional level, chess is in fact a game that requires a
      constantly working mind. Perhaps it is a "difficult" game, but
      this is the only way one can really be proud of the attained
      goal of winning a worthy opponent. Now in relation to the
      accusation of chess being boring, after playing chess
      frequently for more than ten years in a row, I really cannot
      describe how far away from the truth this statement really is.

      First of all, if you are up to the chess challenge, you have to
      begin by learning the rules of the game. Being an abstract
      strategy board game, chess is played by two players on a square
      board that combines eight rows-called ranks -and eight columns-
      called files. Its simple design creates sixty-four squares of
      alternative color: one darker than the other. Each of the
      players is assigned to sixteen pieces (units) at the beginning
      of the game, which as the game progresses they are eliminated
      by the opponent's movements on the board. The object of the
      game is to checkmate the opponent. This practically means that
      one of the players has successfully managed to perform all the
      appropriate strategic movements so as to threaten the
      opponent's king from moving. It has to be stressed that due to
      the variety of the chess pieces and their distinct abilities on
      the game's board, chess has successfully become one of the
      world's most popular games.

      Garry Kasparov and Robert Fischer-or Bobby-have been famous
      chess players worldwide, due to their exceptional abilities in
      combining the art of chess with the strategic maneuvering
      entailed in disciplines of science. Considered by many funs to
      be a "mental martial art," chess has gained its popularity
      among the nations of Asia, Europe and the Americas. Generally
      known as Western Chess or International Chess, to be
      distinguished from its many variations, the chess I was taught
      by my father is currently being played in a number of counties,
      some of which claim to have invented its original form. The most
      commonly held view is that chess originated in India, since the
      Arabic, Persian, Greek, Portuguese and Spanish words for chess
      all come from the Sanskrit game Chaturanga.

      Currently, chess funs can be found anywhere from Japan to
      Sweden and chess players can locate their future opponents on
      the online forums and websites specifically designed to the
      pleasure of playing chess. If you are considering taking up the
      chess challenge, visit your local chess listings and you will be
      surprised of how many people are daily committed in exercising
      their mental abilities via a fun and instructive game like

      About The Author: Jonathon Hardcastle writes articles for
      http://everythingaboutgames.net/ - In addition, Jonathon also
      writes articles for http://4boatingstuff.com/ and

      Please use the HTML version of this article at:

      For more free-reprint articles by Jonathon Hardcastle please