News from Marklin

  • zgaugeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 22, 2013
      Märklin has new ownership
      Sieber & Sohn acquires Märklin

      Published: March 21, 2013

      Long-discussed rumors have finally been confirmed: Sieber & Sohn GmbH
      & Co. KG, the firm established by Simba Dickie Group CEO Michael Sieber and
      his son, Florian, will take over model railway manufacturer Märklin.

      A press conference was held March 21 in Fürth, Germany, to announce
      the takeover.

      Through Sieber & Sohn GmbH & Co. KG, Michael Sieber, a pioneer of the
      German toy industry, will become the new majority shareholder at Märklin.

      All of the current positions in both locations — Göppingen, Germany,
      and Györ, Hungary — will remain intact, and all outstanding liabilities to
      banks and other creditors will be settled, according to a press release from
      Märklin. The company's headquarters will remain intact in its current
      location, in Baden-Württemberg, Germany.

      Under the takeover agreement, Florian Sieber will join the current
      dual leadership of the company as the third managing director of equal rank,
      working alongside Wolfrad Bächle and Stefan Löbich.

      "The Märklin name is synonymous with a whole category of toys, and has
      stood for top German quality since 1859," Michael Sieber said in the
      release. "That is why it is my great pleasure to help shape the future of
      this traditional brand with a history dating back more than 150 years."

      The new ownership will also secure the business location of Göppingen
      and the surrounding districts over the long term: the key provisions of the
      existing company agreement with the workforce have been extended beyond
      2014, according to the release. For salaried employees in Göppingen, this
      means the safeguarding of positions until 2019 — a provision signed by 98
      percent of the employees.

      "During the past four years, we have managed to place the company back
      on a stable footing," said liquidator Michael Pluta, who had been assisting
      with development at Märklin since March 2009 and played a large part in
      arranging the takeover. "Having Sieber & Sohn GmbH & Co. KG join as new
      owners ultimately confirms the success of the decisions we have made to

      Pluta also endorsed the new ownership structure. "The agreement
      guarantees complete service of outstanding claims and continuation of
      business operations," he said.

      Sieber echoed that assessment: "Mr. Pluta and his team have chosen the
      right course for the future," he said. "All things considered, I see great
      potential for growth for Märklin and the subsidiary companies Trix and LGB."

      Sieber & Sohn expects to pursue a multi-brand strategy, according to
      the release, and Sieber also plans to focus on children and teens as a
      future business strategy. The basis for this already exists in the "Märklin
      my world" and "LGB Toy Train" lines.

      "Anyone who, like me, was enthusiastic about Märklin even as a child
      will remain loyal to the brand as an adult," he said.

      The Märklin headquarters in Baden-Württemberg will remain the center
      for the development and production of special items going forward. Györ,
      Hungary, will remain the central location for the company's core production.
      Additional production lines will be returned to Europe from China.

      As of press time, the takeover was currently awaiting approval by the
      German Federal Cartel Office. It was expected, however, that the plans will
      be found consistent with applicable legal norms, according to the release.