Z or N?

  • trisuk666
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 13, 2004
      I'm thinking of getting rid of my clunky HO scale stuff and
      downsizing. Which is better Z or N guage?
    • Joe Krepps
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 13, 2004
        I echo Bill's statements and add a few.

        It also depends on whether you wish to shunt/switch your wagons/cars. I
        bought a small collection of decent, reasonably priced N-scale
        locomotives and rolling stock. However, I discovered too late that IF
        you are modeling European trains, you're either stuck with the Rapido
        couplers OR do purpose built/custom MicroTrains coupler conversions on
        each and every piece! A daunting task given European buffers, though
        small in N-scale, are not accomodated by anything MicroTrains offers.
        Even finding commercial "uncoupling ramps" for N-scale is very difficult
        (none appear in the telephone book sized "Walthers N & Z Scale Catalog").

        On the other hand, though they're much larger than 'scale', the standard
        Marklin couplers not only have a somewhat decent uncoupling track but
        they can be modified in 2 ways to work like the magnetic MicroTrains
        couplers.

        Consequently, I've switched to Z-scale for to get my 'fix' of European
        trains...and I have those N-scale European trains for sale if you're
        interested.

        Hope this helps,
        Joe Krepps (in the U.S.)