Importing from Switzerland

  • doowopuk2002
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2004
      Hi Gang,
      Newbie in Z land - wanting to start out in Swiss Era V.
      Noticed some keen prices on the net in a Swiss shop.
      Does anyone know if duty/vat etc are charged on these? If so it
      rather ruins the apparently low prices.

      cheers,

      Al
    • zgaugeman
      Message 2 of 3 , May 19, 2004
        Hi Al.

        I think you have to take a chance. You could ask the vendor to attach
        wording on parcel to say it's a 'sample'or a present. Alternatively
        have you tried ebay Germany where prices on auction can be very
        competitive. I have had quite a few Marklin Z items at 30 per cent
        off. Also you can obtain Z gauge items not normally available in any
        one country or deleted items from the past.
        Always check on the sellers past performance and you cannot go wrong.
        I usually go into the Yahoo German web page for auctions.
        Substituting German for the English.... on the ebay sites. You don't
        need to understand the German language.
        I usually pay in currency notes via registered post to the vendor as
        the Germans do not usually use paypal.

        Eric.

        --- In zgaugebritishandeuropean@yahoogroups.com, "doowopuk2002"
        <BIG_AL_KIRBY@L...> wrote:
        > Hi Gang,
        > Newbie in Z land - wanting to start out in Swiss Era V.
        > Noticed some keen prices on the net in a Swiss shop.
        > Does anyone know if duty/vat etc are charged on these? If so it
        > rather ruins the apparently low prices.
        >
        > cheers,
        >
        > Al
      • doowopuk2002
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2004
          Eric,
          Thanks for your reply - I was beginning to think this was
          a 'ghost forum!' - any road up I found an alternative in Germany with
          even cheaper prices - reimann.de - they have extensive lists, take
          CC's and shipping is free - deep joy!
          The Swiss Starter set was 145 euros as opposed to MG Sharps £156 - my
          CC tells me I saved £55.95 on that item alone!
          Most of their stock is the same price or less in euros that we pay in
          pounds sterling.
          Provided the service turns out to be ok I'll stick with them.

          cheers,

          Al

          --- In zgaugebritishandeuropean@yahoogroups.com, zgaugeman