Re: 'British' outline Z kits from Japan

  • Neal
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In zgaugebritishandeuropean@yahoogroups.com, "british_z"
      <adrian@b...> wrote:

      > My aim is to model early 60's East Coast Main Line in Z so a 1/210
      > Flying Scotsman (albeit unpowered) is a great start to go with
      > Grahams/zClubs white metal A4 kit that I already have. (I would
      eat snails for a Deltic!)

      The Futura 4472 that I have is now up and running on the Kbay Stats
      chassis (this has green wheels that are really great) It looks very
      neat, only slight problem is, it is a little light, so pulling power
      is down. Easy conversion of the Futura shell and only a very slight
      mod to the chassis to reduce the cylinder hieght. Tender, all I did
      was to drill holes to accept the Marklin wheels and add a little
      weight internally, and glue a Marklin coupler box (from an old bogie
      tank car) on the back.

      > Where can I get Futura stuff. A Google search did not come up with
      > anything.

      > Adrian, I got the Futura stuff from Ebay from a Japanese girl
      called Kitty Pau, who trades under the Ebay callsign of "hostess220"
      You could try e mailing her. (english is OK)

      > I'll need BR Mk1 and Pullman coaches.

      The Marklin TEE coaches convert quite well, but need shortening. This
      is not as difficult as you might imagine and the joints can be lost
      in the repaint.

      I've been looking into
      creating
      > waterslide transfers which could be applied to an easily built
      plasic
      > shell but what about running gear.
      >
      > Are there any Marklin bodies with suitable bogies/chassis. Do
      Marklin sell bogies only?

      Any Marklin parts can be purchased seperately and are remarkably
      cheap.. I use "Bahnhof for Marklin" who advertise in the usual press.
      They are very good and quite quick. Just refer to the base model by
      number and list the bits you want. Some of the earlier bogies used on
      Marklin coaches are quite British looking. Other than that there are
      the Microtrains trucks which come with or without couplers and again
      are very cheap (but good) If you use Kadee couplers they are almost
      scale and they work much better than Marklin. (Always available on
      Ebay or from Microtrains importers such as Rails of Sheffield)

      Regards Neal