Who Was Invited?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2006

      Who Was Invited?

      Rich laypeople invited Zen Master Ikkyu to a banquet. Arriving in his beggar's robes, he was chased away by the host, who did not recognise him. Changing into his ceremonial robe, he later returned. He was then respectfully received into the banquet room, where he lays his robe on his seat, and leaves.

      Comments: Who or what was truly invited? Ikkyu or only his robe? Or Ikkyu in his robe? Was Ikkyu showed away at first? Or were only his poor clothes showed away? Do "clothes make the man?" Or is is man that makes the clothes, that makes the man? Are we confused with the superficial, forgetting the substance? Flashy appearances hide the precious that has no form. Do we throw the baby out with the bath water? Wise discrimination goes beyond external illusions, while the foolish discriminate illusions with likes and dislikes, as if they make up the unseen reality. - Shen Shi'an