Where is the Stone?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2006

      Where is the Stone?

      Fayen: There is a big stone. Do you consider it to be inside or outside your mind?
      Monk: Since Buddhism says all things are objectifications of one's mind, the stone is inside my mind.
      Fayen: Your head must feel very heavy, if you are carrying such a stone in your mind.

      Comments: If one believes experiences of the senses to be objectified by the mind, and yet hang firmly to the objectifications as if they were substantial, then surely, mental objectification is not realised. Realsation of this should lead to freedom from duality of subject and object. How then, should we respond to Zen Master Fayen's question? That would be a koan. How do we express that which is not inside or outside, not subject(ive) or object(ive)? - Shen Shi'an