A Rationale for Cultivating Compassion

    Message 1 of 1 , May 4 1:14 AM

      A Rationale for Cultivating Compassion

      While sometimes we can gain more control in a situation, other times we cannot. Here mental transformation is crucial. After the invasion of Tibet, thousands of Tibetans were imprisoned. Truly a powerless situtation, being a political prisoner has shattered many people's lives.

      However, one monk, who was released after many years, finally escaped to the Tibetan community in exile in India. There His Holiness the Dalai Lama asked him, "What was your greatest fear while imprisoned?" The monk replied, "Losing my compassion."

      Instead of giving in to feelings of being oppressed and demeaned, this monk had cultivated compassion not only for the young soldiers who controlled every facet of his life, but also those in the government who commanded them to do so. His compassion had sustained him in an otherwise intolerable situation and enabled him to emerge from it with a kind heart he could offer to others.

      - Working with Anger (Thubten Chodron)

      To otherwise bear resentment while being imprisoned indefinitely
      would be most unkind and unwise,
      as it is to punish oneself indefinitely,
      on top of the punishment one is already subject to.

      - Shen Shi'an