Response to "The Meaning of Real Prosperity"

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2006

      Response to "The Meaning of Real Prosperity"

      Q: Please

      read the last paragrah of "The Meaning of Real Prosperity" I think the word in red should be "after" instead "before" -

      "If it is such that your son or grandson should die before you, and that you are able to accept it graciously as also part of the 'natural' course of life, then this, I consider as real prosperity..."

      A: Actually, there's no error. The second master was teaching that if one can make peace with the unexpected, it is a form of spiritual prosperity. If it is "after", then the teaching would be no different from the first master's.

      Q: Thanks - that 'enlightened' me.

      A:  It's interesting that in a way, you like the man who was initially attached to the "right order" of things? By the way, at the end of the story, he tore up both calligraphic pieces of work. It was symbolic of him letting go of attachment to any "order" of things. May you be well and happy :-]

      Q: Yes, you are right.