The Rationale for Having Rituals

    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2006

      The Rationale for Having Rituals

      There are two ways of looking at rituals.
      On the one hand, rituals are an external expression of our inner state.
      And on the other hand, we strengthen and reinforce our inner state by external actions.
      Of course, in reality there are not two things, but rather a united whole.

      As we practice together sincerely,
      we become increasingly aware that such notions as internal and external cannot be separated. This awareness is actually the growing realization of the real harmony that underlies everything.

      We are in the zendo (meditation hall) together,
      and we hear each other chanting, and we move together in bowing...;
      this is our harmonious environment.

      And because we are doing these things in a harmonious environment
      and concentrating on what we are doing,
      this itself is our harmonious consciousness.
      Our environment and our consciousness are inseparable.

      - On Zen Practice: Body, Breath & Mind (Taizan Maezumi & Bernie Glassman)