Fish Running Out Of Water

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 26, 2006
      Fish Running Out Of Water

      There was this time when we were at a little shop. While seated and waiting for the menu, we noticed something unusual. There was a fish tank there. Upon closer look, the fish were kept in with little water, and they seemed to be very uneasy.

      At first, we thought it was poor air ventilation that the fish were protesting about, but the air pump was working fine with streamless supply of air bubbles. While waiting on for to place our order, we saw another reason why the fish were panicking. The table behind us had just been served a combo meal of rice, some side vegetables and one of the fish from the tank... deep-fried.

      The thought of us being in this Samsara world, being just like the fish trapped in the tank, aroused overwhelming compassion in us... on the plight of both the killed fish and those in the tank. Om Mani Padme Hung.

      - Chever

      With each passing day, we draw closer to death;
      like fish losing water—what joy is there?
      Be as earnest and diligent in spiritual practice as we would
      putting out a burning fire in our hair.
      Remember that life is too impermanent for us to slacken.

      - Samantabhadra Bodhisattva