Compassion Over Fear (of Dogs!)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 21, 2006

      Compassion Over Fear (of Dogs!)

      I never feared dogs, but one unpleasant incident of dog barking at me for trespassing unknowingly into their territory somehow scarred my memory, and since then, made me avoid them if I happen to cross paths with them.

      I recently visited a friend's house for the first time, and realised he kept two dogs of medium size. They were really quiet and obedient, but my friend sensed my fear of them, and confined them to his kitchen area with a fence. Later as I stayed longer in his house, I did once think of asking him to release them out, but then, fear controlled my decision again.

      It was after leaving his home, that I realised I would prefer to let them roam freely the next I visit him. The two dogs must have felt terrible when they were confined to the kitchen after my arrival. My thought is also in line with the Buddha's teaching of universal extension of compassion to sentient beings. This gave me the awakening that being more concerned for animals' well-being is more important than my selfish self-imposed fear of them. ~Bronson

      Comments : Hmmm... Like you said at the beginning, it was "one unpleasant incident" only. It might be useful to remember there are many other pleasant or neutral incidents of encounters with dogs. In this sense, there is no stong need to be "once bitten, forever shy"! :-]  ~Shen Shi'an