Why Intentions Determine Right or Wrong

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 17, 2006

      Why Intentions Determine Right or Wrong

      Here is a simple proof of why what determines "right and wrong"
      (wholesome and unwholesome/ skilful and unskilful/ good and bad)
      is logically, spiritually and lawfully based on our intentions instead of our actions.

      If person Tom and Dick help Harry to be free of suffering,
      obviously, both their actions in themselves are "right".

      But if one can read their minds to see their intentions,
      and discover Tom to be be truly helpful only to benefit Harry,
      while Dick is helpful only to benefit himself indirectly,
      then surely, ultimately, on the most fundamental level,
      despite their similarly helpful actions,
      Tom is the one that is truly right, while Dick is actually wrong -
      even if Dick's action is totally "right" in the eyes of Harry!

      This tells us 2 important lessons -

      1. It is crucial to be mindful of our intentions, to have right ones -
          because karma is fundamentally created by our intentions.
          An action is ultimately morally right only when the intention is right.

      2. It is crucial not to judge someone only by his/her actions -
          because things are often not what they seem.
          An outwardly "wrong" action might be actually right,
          while an outwardly "right" action might be wrong.

      - Shen Shi'an