The Right & Wrong Way to Reform a Thief

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2006

      The Right & Wrong Way to Reform a Thief

      Depending on why one asks, there is a right or wrong answer to what is right or wrong- stonepeace

      The master caught a monk stealing from the other monks,
      who angrily demanded that the right thing to do was to expel the thief.

      The master replied,

      "Since you think you already know what is right or wrong
       you can leave if you want.
       I'm going to keep this disciple though,
       because if I do not teach him what is right or wrong, who will?"

      Both the thief and the other monks were touched and repentant.
      Both realised none of them truly knew what was right or wrong.

      - Retold by Shen Shi'an