Response to "I Didn't Know You're Still Carrying Her!"

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 24, 2006

      Response to "I Didn't Know You're Still Carrying Her!"

      Comment (Peter): I was not in the slightest shocked by the actions of the master in the story, namely carrying the girl across the river. rather on the contrary, i would have been deeply shocked if he would have just continued on his way across the river without helping the girl and leaving her behind on the other side of the river.

      Reply (Shi'an): Sadhu! (Excellent!) It means you live the spirit of the precepts more! But no need to be shocked perhaps? Will you be as shocked as the student was shocked when the master carried the girl? We need equanimity in all kinds of situations - since it enables us to maintain peace of mind, and to be able to respond the best way needed for the situation.

      Comment: I feel that you omitted a few very important points. Your discussion should have had a greater focus on helping the girl (whatever sex this sentient human being might have), and not so much on whether or not to blindly follow rules or why the master was such a great master and the student just such a stupid student.

      Reply: Hmmm... looks like this story offers more lessons than it seems at first. Yes, even if it is a man, he should be helped. Even if it is an animal, it should be helped!

      Comment: Also, it would have been essential to expand on the student's remark, why is a monk should not touch a woman (and by the way, the same holds true for nuns.)

      Reply: Yes, here's the missing explanation - It is to prevent temptation towards indulgence in pleasures of the senses, which can distract one from spiritual cultivation - which monks and nuns have dedicated their lives to - full-time!