Why Give Anything At All?

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2006

      Why Give Anything At All?

      Giving with an open heart brings us joy and directly benefits others.
      Goods are then shared more equitably within our society and among nations,
      soothing the ill-feeling of social inequity and promoting world peace.

      Sharing is a source of our continued existence as a species.
      As His Holiness the Dalai Lama says, it is not survival of the fittest,
      but survival of those who cooperate the most, that makes a species prosper.

      None of us exists independently; we have to depend on others simply to stay alive.
      Thus, helping others and sharing wealth benefits both self and others.

      Generosity makes us happy now, enables our species to continue to prosper,
      and creates positive karma that brings us prosperity in the future.
      In addition, it is an essential trait of an enlightened being.
      Who ever heard of a stingy Buddha?

      -  Ven.Thubten Chodron (How to Free Your Mind)