Re: [zeph] zeph's stomachache and philosophy

  • !Namo@mituofO!
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19, 2000

      From: james
      Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 1:06 AM
      Subject: [zeph] zeph's stomachache and philosophy

      "...Despite the sudden pain, Zeph was mindful that he
      was thinking about a beautiful girl just a moment ago. Isn't it crazy? How
      unreal and unpractical feelings of the romantic can become, in the rational
      light of the real now, that needs you to do the most practical and urgent
      thing!..."

      reply: it is not crazy. every single second of your life is unique if you are able to live fully in it; each second is different from the ones that went before, or will come after. if zeph had experienced the pain of lost romance at that moment, it is as real as it can be; that is how he, zeph, experienced his existence at that moment. on what basis is it said that it is not real? on the basis of his subsequent stomachache? what an inference! and is everything in life  to be perceived in terms of practicality?

      >I think zeph is trying to say that hankering on the past is unfruitful- he should be paying attention, doing his lookout duty- "Only NOW is real- the past is jusy a memory, and the future a dream.

      so our wise friend zeph has decided that feelings of romantic is unpractical and irrational, and perhaps that his life should be as practical and rational as it can be? if that is what he chooses, that is his prerogative - his life, his choice. but i personally think his life will be pathetic if that is what guide his whole life along. to love and be loved may not be as satisfying to zeph as his need to release his shit, or as practical and rational, but if anyone think so, then he is simply confusing the different needs of man. no doubt, for a given moment, some need is more prepotent than another, but to conclude therefore that the prepotent need is all that matter for all moment is really naive. as for zeph to have come to such a conclusion, he is just stupidly wise, with all due respect to his buddha nature.

      >Different needs of man for a given moment.... hmmm- he was supposed to be vigilant and do his lookout duty for the sake of the security of the ship. And he can enjoy the good weather along the way. That is wise.
    • james
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 27, 2000
        hi,

        haven't got the time to reply till now. fine, zeph was doing his duty and it is only right that he should pay attention. but if i don't understand the passage wrongly, zeph had a terrible stomachache (and not his duty that caught his "mindfulness"), the pain was there and real at that moment, and in going through all this, he was still aware of what concerned him a moment ago. what strikes me as odd is that, based on his experience at that point of time, he conclude (or insinuate) that thinking about a beautiful girl a moment ago was crazy; i.e. he thought he was crazy, even before the stomachache a moment ago, to be thinking of his romance at all. i have no problem with the fact that only the present is real. but the passage over here is that zeph seemed to comment about his past base on his present. his 'wise and philosophical' reflections seems to overlook the very idea that each moment is unique. i once came upon a buddhist friend who commented to me that this beautiful girl whom i was 'desiring' will one day but a decaying corpse, presumably to discourage my 'attachment' to such worldly and transient things: fine! but at least for now, she is not a decaying corpse, but a lively and living girl, and me too, lively and living! zeph, i believe, is 'reflecting' along the same line as this buddhist friend of mine, perhaps a little confused with too much thinkings. our friend zeph was 'wise' not for his vigiliance while on duty, but wise while his stomach is trying hard to churn out some dirty things he had eaten and base on the then mindfulness thinking about his thinking about his lost romance.

        james.