Movie Test

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 30, 2005

      Movies allow us to study human expression and reactions, to experience the virtually emotional from the comfort and safety of our seats. A question that used to intrigue me is whether the heart can really "think" or is it controlled by the mind? Why do some react this way while others in another? Why such evil, why such goodness?

      After getting to know Buddhism, I found my question to be really trivial. I mean there are 101 reasons why one reacts in the way s/he does, but the motives are always based on the 3 roots of evils (greed, hatred and delusion) or our pure Buddha-nature (of generosity, loving-kindness and wisdom). As unenlightened beings, our Buddha-nature is often clouded by the 3 roots, but we are always in control - we choose which to work with or to outshine another. For example, jealousy is a blend of greed (for what one does not have) and hatred (for others having what we want), over-shadowing our Buddha-nature. Another example is when generosity goes hand in hand with loving-kindness, giving greed and hatred no chance to take lead.

      Perhaps the reactions we get from watching the good and evil shown in the movies could be good indicators of where we are heading on our spiritual path. The ultimate destination is and should not be anything less than Buddhahood. How far or near are we now? What are the results of your "movie test"? Do evil or good dominate your mind as you watch? Do you enjoy the good or evil scenes more? Which scenes haunt and stick? Why?

      -zlyrica : www.moonpointer.com (pic:ysu.edu)