Melting Candle, Flickering Flame

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20, 2005

      Melting Candle, Flickering Flame

      Our body is like a candle's wax, constantly shape-shifting.
      Our mind is like a candle's flame, constantly flickering.

      At no two points in time is the wax or flame the same.
      Changing from moment to moment,
      there is no fixed "candle" and "flame";
      there is only "melting" and "burning".

      At no two points in time is our body or mind the same.
      Changing from moment to moment,
      there is no fixed "body" and "mind";
      there is only "ageing" and "thoughts rising and falling".

      When we want a candle to burn on,
      we pass its flame from its dying wax to a new candle.
      The new candle melts on and the flame burns on -
      a continuation of constant change.

      When we want the body to live on,
      we pass our consciousness from our dying body to a new body.
      The new body takes life, and consciousness thrives on -
      a continuation of constant change.

      What do you burn for... in this life?
      What do you burn for... life after life?

      -Sh
      en Shi'an