[zeph] #10 : Waves

  • !Namo@mituofO!
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28 8:39 AM
      ZEPH & FRENS #9
      _________________________
      Waves

      Zeph has a battered hardcover notebook (not a laptop!) which he carries
      everywhere he goes, in the right side pocket just above the knee of his
      cargo pants. In it he scawls his thoughts occasionally. Occasionally, he
      flips through it and rediscovers some of his random poetry-thoughts :

      WAVES
      ~~~~~~~
      Waves are like liquid dunes,
      shifting too,
      in the winds.

      ALONE
      ~~~~~~~
      The person spiritual
      alone
      finds himself;

      The person unspiritual
      alone
      decides he'll always need someone else.

      BY THE SECOND
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      You're dying
      now
      by the second-

      So you'd better
      start living
      now
      by the second.

      MOTHER GUANYIN
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      My Mother
      is being Guanyin (the Bodhisattva of Compassion)
      to me,
      by praying to Guanyin
      for me.

      Guanyin, my Mother;
      My Mother Guanyin.
      Is there any difference?

      CONQUERING MOUNTAINS
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      How can anyone ever conquer a mountain?
      It never meant to be an obstacle,
      and you reaching its summit never impressed it.

      The greater your feeling of victory,
      the higher your mountain of ego is.
      Which mountain do you want to conquer?

      Most of the time, it simply amazes him that he actually wrote all that. Who
      was he when he wrote that? I don't exactly feel "him", the writer, in me
      now, the reader. The writer seems like a more enlightened person than me.
      How is this possible? How bizarre...

      Zeph slammed the notebook shut and thumped it on his lap thoughtfully,
      frowning again. After a while, he reopened the book, scribbling the
      following beside the haiku-poem "WAVES"-

      WAVES II
      ~~~~~~~~
      Thoughts are invisible waves,
      shifting in the winds
      of the Mind.
      No two waves the same.
      What is real then?
      If no wave lasts beyond the now?

      It might be the stillness beneath the tides,
      the calm of the yet unseen depths-
      which all waves rise from,
      which all waves fall to-
      My Buddha-Nature.

      No matter how profound his random thoughts are, Zeph thought, they are but
      waves of his changing mindstream. While they might reflect His inner
      Buddha-Nature, they are only temporal manifestations, nothing to be proud
      of. He has to go deeper- get to the REAL thing. Nothing beats that. With
      that, Zeph closes the notebook, slips it back into his pocket and velcros
      its flap.