How to Helping a Deceased Stray Dog

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2005

      How to Helping a Deceased Stray Dog

      Q: I have been helping to care for a stray dog. Unfortunately, it had passed away. Is there any use of chanting for it if it had passed away for some time already? Other than dedicating merits to it by chanting, is there anything else I can do to help him?

      A: The continual chanting for the dog is good, no matter how long ago it had passed away. It is better if the identity of the dog is not clung on to - as it might have taken rebirth in another form already. Chanting anything from the Buddhist teachings, including names of Buddhas and Bodhisattvas, mantras and sutras, is helpful. Perhaps what is most beneficial is the chant that you have the most faith in.

      It would also be much more meritorious to dedicate the merits to all beings. The dog will naturally be included. Interestingly, the dog will get more and not less merits, compared to dedicating to it alone - because it's passing had become one of the direct causes of your inspiration of creating merits for more beings.

      When we dedicate to all beings instead, it also helps us to have less grief and attachment to the deceased, as we nurture more compassion for other beings too. Chanting is not the only way to create merits of course. Any unselfish deed done to benefit any other being creates merits too. -shian | pic:readingrockets.org